[IRCA] SDRs, OSes, etc.

Ah, addressing 90% of the potential market is a limitation, eh?

I'm no Microsoft fan, Mike, but that's not a limitation. That's a marketing
decision to put development resources where they'll get maximum return. It'd
take considerably more than 10% of development resources to try to address the
now minor OSes like the various Unixes (including MacOS), Linuxes, OS/2s, BeOs,
et cetera.

(And before anyone starts barking at my designation of 'minor', I used to work
for a place that, in 1998, did 90% of its code for high end UNIX boxes and was
very snotty about Windows the 'toy' OS. Seven years later Windows boxes had 80%
of the development effort and the UNIX side was rapidly becoming an expensive
liability that ate developers. People go where the best bang for the buck is -
ask SGI if you don't believe me. Mac users need not bark, either - you're
running BSD Unix with a nice Apple-written shell on top!)

>> Being a "software defined" radio, I suppose it only works on one
>> particular type of computer running one particular operating system.
>> This would be the biggest drawback, if you ask me.

It's all a question what OS you want to run and what limitations in choices
you're willing to accept for that in return. I wanted as few as possible in
terms of available applications to choose from, hence my adoption of Windows
from OS/2.

  Lee