[IRCA] KXTO QSL's

To date, I've only received QSL requests from a handful of DX'ers for this test. Most
have come via e-mail recordings, and hopefully those folks have received their
verifications.

I have received two reports via regular mail on cassette tapes. One from Patrick
Griffith and the other from Curtis Mcmenamin. Don't have a cassette deck
of any quality handy, so I have to make special arrangements to use one at
an editing facility where we do our video editing.

Today, I listened to both tapes several times on a professional cassette deck
with headphones. Unfortunately, I could not hear anything on either tape that
would allow me to verify the receptions.

The experience did underscore why cassettes are a poor choice for this
application. I had to shift through 10 minutes or more of audio on each tape.
If I had a "suspected" signal, it was very hard to cue and re-cue the tape
to play it over and over. (the deck did have "cueing" features which
makes this easier)

Also, it isn't easy to insert the recording into a "clean up" program like Sony's
Sound Forge or Pro Tools, which I normally use for weak signal digital files.

I'm urging both DX'ers to try again while KXTO continues the "inventory insert"
testing. If anyone is still waiting on a QSL for this test, please e-mail me
a recording or send a CD or cassette to the address below.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
NRC/IRCA Broadcast Test Coordinator
C/O High Noon Film
100 Centerview Drive
Suite 111
Birmingham, AL 35216

Please call anytime 24/7 if your transmitter
will be off the air for maintenance.
(205) 253-4867