Re: [IRCA] AM down the road

Title: Message
Re the recent posts, 2 thoughts...

We say it's the programming content, not the sound quality, but that's only partly true...last week I met a 30-something who enjoys '40s-'50s pop...Bobby Vinton, Mills Bros, Sinatra, Como, big bands, etc....a real oddity, considering his young age... anyway, he did not know that a station in the next town, WPDX-750 1kW-NDD in Clarksburg, WV runs MOYL...we were driving in the area, so I turned it on...and he loved the format, but it kept fading, and frequently was obliterated by intense QRM...and he asked, "Do they have an FM?" Sigh. Such is FM's reputation for quality, and the reality of AM's noisiness...maybe this fact-of-life is what gives (false) hope to AM's IBOC adopters...

Clearly, the BCB's days are fading. Perhaps, as tower lights gradually wink out on the AM band, maybe we'll get to enjoy a few years of retrograde, back thru the '60s and '50s, with channels opening up again, like it used to be on those MON mornings so many of us remember so fondly, and several of you have so vividly described in recent posts, when you could catch a 1 kw or lower-powered s/on, s/off, or AN far distant...

Fred Schroyer
Freelance Science Writer / Editorial Consultant
955 Sixth Street - Waynesburg, PA 15370
(40 air mis S of Pittsburgh - 20 air mis N of Morgantown, WV)
Home 724-627-8844 - Work 304-599-7830 x 1120
freditor@xxxxxxxxxx