Re: [IRCA] AM down the road

Pat,

Let's hope IBOC goes the way of quad!  And the way of the 8 track tape player...lol.  Though, look how long Morse Code has persisted.  Of course, 95% of current day usage of Morse Code is by die hard Amateur Radio operators (like me).  Oddly enough, one bit of technology that has persisted is the cassette tape, though it has been improved over the years.

Technology changes so rapidly making practically any electronics bought today obsolete in 3 or 4 years, or less.  How many computers have I gone through since the 1980's?  Enough to have bought a room full of high-end  communications receivers.  Though, obsolesence is what keeps me employed as a programmer.  Business needs change rapidly, as do platforms that software applications run on, creating the need for new programs or modifications to existing ones.

Speaking of broadcasters leaving the air or going to FM, one thing I prize are recordings or verifications from stations no longer with us.  Shortwave radio is one of the prime examples of this with so many English language broadcasters dropping that service.  There ought to be a museum for items from stations no longer around.  For others to enjoy.  On the Internet?  Hmmm, now there's an idea!  Used to be, one could tune across the shortwave dial hearing interval signals from stations about to begin their English language service to North America.  Kind of like how we used to hear the Star Spangled Banner and Dixie on AM when stations were signing on.  There are two obsolete terms for one to ponder, sign-on and sign-off.

I'll say my 73's now, relax a little before heading off to work to work on that new application we are developing at work - lol.

Jim Nall