Re: [IRCA] AM down the road..

>I'm not against progress, but what a damn shame it has to be that way.

In a big way it is.  I feel a lot of nostalgia when I walk into the WDDZ-550
site.  That used to be a vibrant Top-40 radio station.  Today it's a gutted
and sanitized cinder block building that only houses a transmitter.  The
ghosts are everywhere.  Even mine from 1975 when I was CE.  I still find
logs and reports I signed back then.

I'm almost 60.  Radio has been a huge part of my life sinse I was tall
enough to twist a dial.  I can thank Fibber McGee and Molly, and Amos n'
Andy for my real interest.  I spent many a night chasing their programs
across the AM dial.  A DXer at age 8, thought I didn't know it.

Today I have XM Radio in the truck.  In my 35+ years in broadcasting I've
listened to far too many commercial breaks.  Just tired of it.  Tired of the
hordes of insulting and rude chatterboxes.  Tired of the music that doesn't
really fit my interest.  Tired of radio in general as it is today.

I have amassed a collection of somewhere over 4,100 MP3 files for my own
use.  I really wish there was some way I could set up a stream to aim them
to wherever I happen to be.  If I felt like All Beatles, All The Time, then
I could have it.

I miss the sound of a big V8 with a serious camshaft.  The smell of
pre-catalytic converter, pre-unleaded gasoline exhaust.  The roads that were
free of traffic in the evening.  Drag racing on a nearly empty Interstate
highway. Hanging out in carhops.  Friends who actually knew something about
cars.  Beer at age 18 without the legal crap you face today.

In short, I miss the 50's and 60's.  Simpler and happier times.  My times..

And it ain't ever coming back.  Analog over-the-air radio may well join the
dustbin of history.  And yes, I will miss that too while I listen to a
stream of some station 2,000 miles away, or my own song collection.  I'll
miss it, but I'll enjoy the new stuff too.

And there's not a damned thing I can do to change it one way or the other,
so I'll go along for the ride and see where it takes me.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI