Re: [IRCA] [DXFlorida] Re: WIOD 610 Miami, problems

Re: [IRCA] [DXFlorida] Re: WIOD 610 Miami, problems

What is interesting, is that the good old days of live radio -- so often
lamented amongst the hobbyists and old-time practitioners -- are just what
WIOD is.  Live 24/7, no automation.

It was because of that they had only the network feed on the air.  No one
and no computer to do IDs, run ads, read the news, just the EIB network
filler between segments of Limbaugh's show.  It was fortunate there was
filler, otherwise there would have been long periods of dead air during the
three hour event.

WINZ however, with their automation, continued on so that the evacuation
was not even apparent to listeners.  It wasn't until I read press reports
that I realized both stations -- along with 6 FMs -- had been evacuated,
and it was more than just a WIOD problem.

Maybe a little bit of automation ain't such a bad thing?  At least from the
station management perspective.  As a listener I found the 3 hours of
nearly commercial free programming quite enjoyable.  To put it in
perspective, it was the same content you would hear over the Internet from
the Limbaugh web site; parodies, network promos, and all.

Also interesting is that this occurred exactly during the three hours of
Limbaugh's program.  Hmmm...

But then, Al Franken and Progressive Radio was on WINZ, so the conspiracy
theories are going to be a little more difficult to formulate.

Man, can you imagine the uproar if those two Clear Channel, co-resident
stations got their wires crossed?

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan