Re: [IRCA] DC Power for DX rigs

Patrick,

My SPR-4 loses a lot of gain at 13.8 V (nominal full charge voltage of car
batteries). So when I used it with power from the car,
it needed the gain of the (internally amplified) Space Magnet II.

To try to use the SPR-4 with an unamplified loop would have made it near
worthless. Sad but true.

My SPR-4's power supply ran closer to 16 volts, regulated.

Since I had an SM-2, I was OK. But later, I built an inverter to convert 12
V to 120V and then powered the set off the 120 V from the inverter.

An inverter can make a lot of RFI, but I filtered mine for RF and ran an
extensin cord from the inverter to the SPR-4. Left the RFI behind in the car.

By the way, I'd set up DX shop in the little road-side parks around
Indiana. They had a picnic table. Set up the SPR-4, the SM-2 and a cassette
recorder and let 'er rip. Simple and fun.

Bring along some Lysol wipes to clean off the picnic table if some of you
readers do that. Some of the picnic tables had all sort of gunk on them. Or
towels to cover the wood surface.

73 de Charlie