[IRCA] 1100 Wobbler

I've been away from my PC this evening, and only just read through all of
the Wobbler postings.  I'm glad to see a lot of people are getting a chance
to hear this thing.  I admit to being surprised how well it is getting out,
considering the presumed underlying station is no powerhouse.

To give what few answers I have:

The 1100 Wobbler is on a moderately powered station, from all
indications.  During the day I have been able to hear the 1100 Wobbler, but
only just barely.  Without the Wobbler I would be unable to hear anything
at all from that station.  West coast Florida DXers can hear the station
during the day better than me because it is located near Havana on the
western coast of Cuba.  But even they did not notice it had returned to the
air until I reported hearing a Wobbler on the frequency -- a certain clue
of a Cuba station.  At night without the Wobbler the station could be
audible to me but unremarkable.  The affect of the wildly swinging carrier
when propagated by sky wave is amazing, something I have been harping on
for some time now.

Here in Florida at night, the Wobbler when it is this extreme is
overpowering on the frequency.  When it stops -- rarely as that is the last
three days -- I have a jumble of fading in and out stations, nothing,
including Cadena Habana -- the presumed source of this Wobbler -- is
especially dominant.

As Craig Healy explained in a post, the seeming different wobble rates in
different modes is because the wobbling is of the carrier itself and shows
up doubly in AM (or DSB) on both sides of the carrier vs SB mode, where
you're only hearing half the wobble.

There are audio samples and spectrum scans of the signal as heard here in
Florida, on the Wobbler web site.

There is a lot more than I can describe here -- or would presume to do in
consideration of everyone's time.  If you want to know all the gory
details, see my Wobbler web site at the link in my signature below.  Be
aware though, there are no definite answers, only conjecture.  When it
comes to Cuba, that's about the best you can get.

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) FL