Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] The "mystery" of 1710khz

At 11:23 AM 1/19/2006, Les Rayburn wrote:
>Actually this is a two part question:
>
>1. Does anyone know why every car radio made in the past twenty
>years seems to have 1710khz as the last spot on the AM dial,
>when the band officially stops at 1700Khz? Who is 1710
>allocated to and are their any licensed stations on that frequency?

It's being used by a lot of TIS stations these days. No licensed
full-power operation there.

>2. Why are their no X-band stations on 1610khz? Other than
>a 10 watt TIS or two, nothing is audible here on that frequency.
>It would seem like a dream spot for a station....
>
>Are there any CP's or pending applications for that frequency?

Just the Canadians in Montreal and Toronto. (The "CFOS Collingwood"
that shows up on many 1610 lists was never built; it was applied for
as a repeater for CFOS 560 Owen Sound, but never made air and has
been deleted by the Canadians, though not from the FCC's list.)

The problem with using 1610 as a full-power frequency is that it has
to clear the adjacent-channel restrictions to existing stations on
1580, 1590 and 1600, and there are a LOT of those out there. The din
from all those 1610 TISes doesn't help matters, either.

Since the KALT license was returned, I get the impression the FCC
(which is in no hurry to authorize new X-banders of any sort, anyway)
has more or less given up on the idea of using 1610 as a full-power frequency.