Re: [IRCA] Poll on satellite radio acceptance.

Re: [IRCA] Poll on satellite radio acceptance.

Patrick,

Like you, I get a bunch of music channels, but on my cable rather than
satellite dish.  Only of use in the house though.  I rarely listen to it.

In the past I listened to baseball I couldn't otherwise hear, via the
Internet and still do.  Every game is available for what I consider a small
fee for the season, but again confined to the house -- although I guess if
you had an elaborate mobile computing arrangement it might be possible to
break free of the wires.

If I could listen to a game on a local broadcast outlet, that would be my
preference because it is the most convenient.  Since my team is not the
home town one though, that option is not available.

What convinced me to buy XM Satellite service was the availability of
baseball and the announcement of the portable XM receivers.  I could now
take baseball with me just as I might with an AM portable radio, with the
advantage of not being limited as to teams that could be followed.  Clearly
more expensive than an AM radio, and with a subscription fee, but with a
far broader reach in return.  Now that I have it, I find other content I
enjoy that is not otherwise available.

This was the justification for me.  I expect others were similarly
motivated, though likely not a major percentage of all XM subscribers, and
no doubt a minute percentage of baseball fans.  Of no interest to me, but
obviously considered a big draw by Sirius, Howard Stern (I think that's the
guy) is another reason some people will subscribe.  Mobile music without
the need to download or record is likely a major draw.

If the content on satellite is not unique enough for an individual, then
the alternatives are always there and they'll not be satellite
subscribers.  In every instance it is the content that attracts
subscribers, as I see it, not the sound quality or other technological
issues -- so long as there are not major impediments in the technology.

As a mobile medium, considering what people must be paying in cell phone
charges, satellite radio is almost free, and more expansive than all the
local AM and FM outlets combined.

And as I always add, IMHO.

Curt