Re: [IRCA] WALE-990 still off

>    Shortly after meeting Grady he mentioned numerous clients and amount of
> driving involved in servicing them all. Daunting sked. Man on go albeit
with an
> air of calm.

There is a lot of driving.  He has clients on the far end of Cape Cod.  My
clients are closer, but I often rack up 500 miles a week.

> Ah yes, Hon. Justice Arcaro....venerable old RI name, rich with history.
> Unaware he owned property prior to WLKW. Good to know he put it to
practical use.
> Imagine, dumping in Burrillville? Shocking. By moon's light, no doubt, by
> which blood appears black and cash piles E-Layer high.

The Judge also owned the old Channel 16, WNET in the mid-fifties.  I think
he also owned WPFM-95.5 before Brown got their grubby meathooks on it.

> Friends' brother purchased land in general vicinity early 90's. Turns out
> another fine old RI family whose summer home our family almost purchased
during
> FabFifties and whose name adorns street parallel to and overlooking
Scarborough
> Beach engaged in similar, er, uh, biz venture. Moonless nites, tanker
trucks
> lumbering along Route 102, petcocks opened, chemicals a pouring......cash
'a
> piling.

Not uncommon then.  It could get you shot today.  However, I doubt the
chemicals are the cause of the abysmal coverage of the 990 facility.  I
think that's due to the granite bedrock prevalent up thataway.

> Amazing how far ahead of his time perhaps might have been the honorable
> Justice. A man of foresight.

Yes, though he did bail out of UHF TV and FM before they hit big time.  Had
he hung in there, he would have been a *very* rich old coot.

He may have had his hand in one or more of the AMs in town, probably the
1110.  The late Pappy Philbrook was CE since Day One there, and often did
engineering tasks for the good Judge.  I miss Pappy.  He was a good guy and
a sharp engineer.

WALE still off as of 11:20pm EST.  I doubt they will be back before morning.
If they aren't back by mid-day, I'll give them another call.  I'm just
astounded that with at least two transmitters and six towers to play with,
they don't have something on the air. Even 250w non-directional would be
worth doing.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI