Re: [IRCA] WALE-990 still off

> I swear the two 990s, in Ct and RI are just doomed to failure  LOL

It really is the programming.  The history of the 990 station is less than
what a 50kw deserves.  When they were first put on in 1961, a city grade
signal over Providence couldn't be made.  This is despite RCA's best
efforts, and despite a 50kw rig using six towers to focus a *very* tight
beam right at the city.  Despite it being only about 20 or so miles away.
18mv/m was the best they could do, rather than the then-required 25mv/m.

When the Canadian government first allowed the Rochester facility then on
680 to move to 990 (now WLGZ) it flat out hammered WLKW at sunset.  They
hired me to take measurements, and I got at least 1.5mv/m before sunset.
I'm sure it was much more later.

Despite all that, the station does cover well enough, even with the 5kw
night power.  It's always audible out on the Cape when I'm coming back from
a client there.  Not as strong as 630 or 790, but good enough.

Were that programmed better, it would be viable.  There are two other SS AMs
and one FM in town.  Saturated..

Craig Healy
Providence, RI