[IRCA] QSLing & history

I must admit in my early days of QSLing as a kid, it was getting "more &
more". Now over 40 years later, it is the history. Looking through the
collection of nearly 3,000 MW QSLs of so many stations that no longer
exist, or having a station QSL'd under every call change. Having that
QSL collection of every station "at that time", all signed by Alan
Roycroft in Hawaii, and the value goes on and on. Or maybe having every
station QSL'd from Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington. Or maybe it is that
historital card from JOCK in Japan before WWII that the station sent me
as a gift. QSLs to me are a lot more than a piece of paper. The
broadcasting history is there. In contacting a station, it is odd to
note that the DXer knows more about the history of a station than the
station knows. That is a real shame too. But the history is what is
really important to me these days. The more QSLs a person has, the more
that history is more complete. It really shows how broadcasting has
changed. With over 200+ Australian QSLs, I see much of the same, how
powerful solid stations in the cities there, moved to FM. Canada is the
same way. With a collection like Ernie Cooper's with 4500 MW QSLs, the
history must have been overwhelming covering so many years. I am sure
glad I did go the extra mile to obtain the collection. To me, it is
worth its weight in gold.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin