[IRCA] QSL MANAGERS etc.

I think it's great if we get stations to test in any way, shape and
form, and more power to those of you who tour stations and find
someone who is willing to do one for us. Regarding QSLs, though, it's
a personnel handling issue. Very often the CE is overworked and may
not understand what QSLs are all about or have the machinery in place
to take care of them. I think this aspect has to be explained. I
think we have to exhibit sensitivity toward maintenance of the
station's program continuity with minimal disruption - whether we
like it or not, it's a business for them and just a hobby for us -
and the person's time. We have to ask, "What's the best way to get
this done?" and opposed to presenting it as an obligation. Then the
option of our member acting as QSL manager should come up. The
station staff member has to have some degree of confidence in the
club member's ability to represent the station in this manner. I was
thinking that a promotion kit including some background on the hobby,
info as to what the test is about, what DXers are looking for and a
CD with a sample test would be a good idea. I think the one-minute
quickie test is absolutely better than nothing but I don't think we
want to close the door on opportunities or a longer duration test. I
guess what I am saying is that we might get better results pursuing
tests if our approach and materials display a modicum of
professionalism.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
ICF2010 + Kiwa air core loop