[IRCA] KDZR & KKPZ Visit (DX Forum and DX tests)

[IRCA] KDZR & KKPZ Visit (DX Forum and DX tests)

I had the opportunity to tour the transmitter site for KDZR & KKPZ un a
quick tour by the chief engineer, John White.  I don't remember much of the
technical aspects of the site and much of the information is posted at the
FCC site however the Radio Disney (KDZR) is 10KW day and 1KW night
omni-directional and the KKPZ (Spanish religious programming) is 5KW
unlimited with a definite NW direction from a 3 antenna array.  They KDZR
shares the site and uses the center tower.  They are located on the NE
quadrant of Mount Scott ( 45°27'12.03"N, 122°32'47.86"W) in Portland, OR at
about 1000 feet elev.

John told me that he does testing and I told him that IRCA would definitely
love to participate in his test(s).  He also said that KDZR receives quite a
number of QSL requests from Europe, so it does get out.  I will coordinate
test information as I find out.

And interestingly enough KKPZ signed off at 0100 ET Sunday (10PM local time
Saturday) as I write this.

This was my first AM transmitter site tour in Portland and was very
interesting.  I've been to the Stonehenge (KGON) site which is all FM
earlier.

Mary Anne
http://ke7cgz.net