Re: [IRCA] KNTS 1220 Palo Alto CA CP

Absolutely. KNTS on day pattern will be strong pre-sunset along the Oregon
coast. The KEX site, which is east of Portland, is right in a KNTS pattern
minimum, however. If you swing 15 degrees counterclockwise, which ought to
take you to the coast somewhere near Portland, KNTS's nighttime
inverse-distance field at 1 km will be 806 mV/m. That's equivalent to a
little more than 6 kW ND from 1/4-wave towers. At a distance of 300 miles or
so, you'll hear KNTS more nights than you won't but it will hardly be
another KGO.

As for what happened at the FCC to encourage all of these 50 kW AMs (a
question that somebody asked), the answer in two words is Rio Treaty. The
treaty opened up all of the former Class III channels and all of the former
foreign Class I channels to domestic Class B stations using as much as 50 kW
day and night. In addition, there is no longer any blanket protection of
borders with Mexico or Canada. There has to be a station to protect. Also,
on US soil, there is no protection whatever of foreign Class As (and on
foreign soil, no protection of US Class As). Stations of all classes receive
protection only in their native countries. BTW, if the FCC chose to so
do--and it has not--I believe it could authorize US Class As to operate with
100 kW-U. I think that the treaty authorizes any Western Hemisphere nation
that chooses to do so to permit Class As to operate with as much as 100
kW-U. Mexico uses this limit. The US, Canada, and most Carribean countries
limit the power of Class As to 50 kW, which is also the limit for Class Bs.
So be thankful for some favors.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@xxxxxxx
eFax 707-215-6367