[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, December 16-22, 2018

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT!

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna
only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside
randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75
with E-W longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily
all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes,
utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without
much delay, such as

And compiled weekly along with
extensive news from many other individuals and publications
in DX LISTENING DIGEST:

All my MW DX reports starting August
2011 are archived in this forum with open access:Â
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page73
[over 326,000 views! as of December 22, 2018]

Glenn Hauser, P O Box 1684, Enid OK 73702, wghauser@xxxxxxxxx

Greetings. All times and dates strictly
UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880;
NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S;
Nissan stock caradio as specified; or IC-R75 with E-W
longwire.

800, Dec 16 at 1413 UT, gospel-huxter in progress, so KQCV OKC is already running unlike Dec 13 when it cut on at *1415.

800, Dec 22 at 0710 UT, amid my TA JBA carrier bandscan I
am distracted by a commercial break in Coast to Coast AM, with
American-orientated commercials for Omaha Steaks, and IRS help. But
it`s got to be CKLW Windsor, a C2CAM affiliate. Fat chance we will
ever hear Canadian commercials on a US station, except those
deliberately trans-border. I guess CKLW is one of them by default;
does the CRTC approve?

700, Dec 22 at 1335 UT, rustic drum and flute
music from WSW/ENE, surely XEETCH, native station in Etchojoa, Sonora;
and the lowest XE frequency still propagating, not even 650 XETNT, 5
minutes before sunrise here at 1340 UT, on the way to latest at 1344
UT in another biweek; no WLW;

and nulling XEETCH, there is S Asian music, no doubt KHSE Wylie
(Metroplex) TX, no longer brokered religion in Spanish as in NRC AM
Log, and still reported as such by MAREs in November. Radio-
locator.com now says it`s ``Radio Caravan`` with Asian format:
https://www.radiocaravan.com/
which autolaunches Hindi/Bollywood audio (but English ad at 1814 Dec
22), or choose Telugu instead. Also operates on FM, IBOC and in
Houston.

880, Dec 22 at 1339 UT, Mexmx and ID as ``La Tremenda, 8-
80``, but not a Mexican as further brands itself with ``la raza``,
which a genuine XE would never do, or need to do. I bet it`s the St
Louis market station, WIJR Highland IL, listed in the NRC AM Log with
1.7 kW day power as ``La Primera 880 AM, La Raza``. Radio-locator.com
confirms the name change, now at
http://latremenda880.com/

900, Dec 21 at 1950 UT, I am searching for some nice music,
rare on the AM band. One such station is nostalgic KSGL Wichita KS, a
250-watt almost-daytimer with barely audible IBOC noise plus, and no
problem minus against 890 OKC KTLR. Split-personality, with gospel-
huxtering blox elsewhen. ``Begin the Beguine`` is playing (what is a
beguine, anyway?).

But there`s a heavy subaudible heterodyne at the rate of 224/minute =
3.73+ Hz. There is no other 900 station at groundwave range, altho
some in AR and TX, and this unseems skywave so early; furthermore,
there is absolutely no QRModulation to KSGL. Therefore, I suspect that
KSGL itself is running two transmitters, by mistake. They may have a
backup and/or one for QRP night usage at 28 watts. In SSB listening,
the R75 eliminates such SAHs, but painfully obvious in AM mode. After
some more music, partly Xmassy, 1959 UT ID also for FM 105.7, which of
course is a mere translator, but in this case just as ``powerful`` as
the AM. 2000 UT, USA Radio News --- and now the SAH is completely
gone!

1070, Dec 16 at 0000 UT plug for a ``whatwebelieve``
website, ID mentioning Pensacola and vanishes. It`s WNVY Cantonment
FL, address in Pensacola, U1 15000/28 watts, Critical Hours 2300
watts, which must have just ended. On E-W antenna, no problem from
off-frequency KFTI Wichita at right angle, already cut from 10 to 1 kW
and U2 cut to N/S night pattern. Cantonment is NW of Pensacola, lost
only a few miles from Alabama across the Perdido River border.

1390, my nearest local, KCRC, continues putting out spurs
at multiples of approx. 30 kHz above and below, despite denials by the
KCRC contract engineer. I decide to measure them as accurately as
possible, Dec 20 at 1926-1939 UT on the R-75:

1449.771, makes het with weak 1450 stations, Woodward & Shawnee
1419.883, KCRC audio overwhelms anything from KTJS Hobart
1389.994, KCRC fundamental is slightly low, and varies?
1360.059, KCRC audio overwhelms anything from KPHN El Dorado KS
1330.177, makes big het with KNSS Wichita which otherwise would be listenable here

At this time can`t hear hets on 1300 & 1480 but have before, perhaps
closer to site on caradio. Separations between these from top to
bottom: 29.889, 29.888, 29.935, 29.882. One of them looks too far off,
not sure if I miscalculated.

Until the next, best of DX and 73 de Glenn

--- End Message ---