Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA Ultralight TP's for 12-18 (Preliminary)

Thanks Colin (and Walt),

If not for the intelligence reports from Victoria regarding yesterday's TP bonanza, I would have missed out on some exciting DX this morning (along with some rain, wind and stares at the local park). Overall, it was an excellent opportunity both to get back into the swing of the improving local conditions, and test out the latest FSL antenna waterproofing mods.

<<< I think it has everything to do with --
*a.) The "cut of the jib" of the antenna*
*b.) The bearing*
*c.) The ambient noise level*
*d.) The conductivity of the ground*
*e.) The relative position to a coastal enhancement or body of water.* >>>

I agree, Colin, but there is a mysterious propagation preference that some places seem to display, that can't really be explained by these factors. The Rockwork cliff in Oregon has always had an overwhelming preference for New Zealand signals, despite the fact that the Australian bearing isn't too far different. Victoria is far superior to Puyallup as a TP-DXing location, but Victoria seems to have a preference for second tier Japanese signals, whereas Puyallup tends to break toward the Chinese on similar days. Weird!

<<< I have a lake 2.5 km to my N.W. - I bet dollars for doughnuts that
if I did a "Gary DeBock" and set up camp there one morning (it's on an easy
bike bath...)
Signals "by the lake" would be 3 - 7 db better than my location. I'm
convinced of it.
Ok. Yes. Challenge accepted! >>>

Sounds great, Colin! "Hit and run" DXing has a charm all its own-- and a special antenna has been developed to give the concept a "turbo boost." Tracking down exotic TP-DX in a portable setup is a thrill all its own-- and great practice for running wild in places like Hawaii.

Gary (still drying out after this morning's session)