From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2018 5:56:38 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] propagation article

This is one of these "I don't know why I bother bookmarking anything"
moments.  It's the Canadian government, so the websites will be
shuffled around on a weekly basis.   I should just create a bookmarks
list that links to "404"

OK, rant over.  Some searching gave me these soon to be out of date links:

http://geomag.nrcan.gc.ca/plot-tracee/ssp-1-en.php gives you the last
24 hours of magnetic observatory plots, but it's raw, no K-indices
which are only calculated for three southerly observatories
http://geomag.nrcan.gc.ca/data-donnee/indices/si-en.php will get you
historical K-indices for those observatories, but it's months out of date

Otherwise
http://geomag.nrcan.gc.ca/data-donnee/indices/si-vi-en.php?type=hourly_ranges
will get  of raw geomagnetism at all the observatories until quite recently..

They have a plotting service, which which also shows you a map of the
magnetic observatory locations:

http://geomag.nrcan.gc.ca/plot-tracee/mp-en.php?format=html

but again, raw geomagnetism.   Anyone know how to calculate K indices?

I have heard that "IT technicalities are preventing us from
automatically providing up to date k indices on the web site.", so
possibly some day they may return?

They used to have a mailing list to which you could subscribe, but
that has also been shot down by
"IT technicalities ".

There still is a service to which you could subscribe, which predicts
daily geomagnetic conditions in the sub-auroral, auroral and polar
cap regions, but darned if I can find out how to become a new
subscriber.   I may be able to find out if anyone is interested, but
I'd hate to shoot down a skunk works operation, hi.

best wishes,

Nick

At 22:14 2018-11-24, Neil Kazaross wrote:
>One thing we all agree on is the desire for very low geomagnetic activity
>for TP/TA. I also think he's right that we should be looking at Canadian
>Arctic K indexes. How do we find those?  73 KAZ
>
>On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 2:36 PM Russ Edmunds <wb2bjh@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > There was one part of the discussion that was a bit unclear. I wasn't sure
> > if they meant "under" the absorption zone to mean "South of it" or to mean
> > "traversing beneath" the absorption or interchangeably both. If there was
> > an intent for "beneath", then I'd have expected a further discussion of
> > paths going  over ( above ) the absorption.  At MW, we likely see
> all three.
> >

> > Russ Edmunds
> >
> > WB2BJH
> >
> > Blue Bell, PA