[IRCA] November 5th & 6th DX at Cape Lookout State Park

My initial impression of the band on Monday morning held up through closer
inspection of my FDM-S2 recordings: it was dismal indeed. Although I'll
take coastal DXing any day over inland, the "sea gain" effect still bows
down to the propagation gods.

Tuesday morning showed promise from around 1400 onward, but it was mostly
just whispers of NHK audio from the strongest tier 1 stations. I did notice
a very weak CRI trumpet fanfare on 1017 kHz at 1500 beneath a presumed.
slightly stronger JOLB Fukuoka, but that was the only non-Japanese TP I
heard.

The star of the morning--to save it from the trash heap--was JOAK Tokyo on
594. It persisted at a strong level, with J-pop such as this crooner from
Yukari Onishi (thanks for the artist ID, Shazam app!):
https://app.box.com/s/krho5he9jq3l9oyelhz2vsw1xvx5zwj5

 It's tough to fault the lackluster DX when you can take a few steps
outside and enjoy the sights and sounds of another kind of wave:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWxkNnoFo9I

During the day I experimented with a new prototype Wellbrook module that
works with a connection to the core of a Ferrite Sleeve Loop antenna. It
performed better than previous broadband FSL efforts, but still fell short
of an inductively coupled, "one frequency at a time" FSL. The champion of
broadband compact antennas remains the ALA1530LNP Imperium, in my opinion.
It packs a lot of performance in a 1-meter diameter package. Like the FSL,
the loop fits into locations where other antennas simply cannot (such as my
cabin at Cape Lookout that's surrounded by dense brush and foliage).

73,
Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA
DXing from Cape Lookout State Park, OR