Re: [IRCA] DKAZ and Flag data

--- Begin Message ---
I concur: the PDF presentation of the data saved me time since I was about to paste it into Excel, or rather its Open Office clone, here.

The 18 x 18 ft. corner fed loop (a.k.a. SuperLoop?) does look pretty good. I've always had pretty good luck at the shore with a 6.6 x 6.6 ft. (2x2m) "micro SuperLoop" on the car roof:
https://www.qsl.net/wa1ion/loop/car_roof_loop.htm

Admittedly something that small needs a lot of amp gain but, remarkably, it gets almost as much DX as a larger antenna of similar shape, at least at a high signal level seashore site.
A bigger SuperLoop I used here a long time for South American / Caribbean DX was 10m vertical by 11m horizontal (33 x 36 ft.); peak 165 deg., null 345 deg. So also an almost-square shape. Amplification not usually required.

This provided good back nulls with only a bit of termination resistance tweaking needed across the band. Presently it is out of service because of tree damage during a storm a few months back. Something similar will go back up before long. The larger peak-east / null-west SuperLoop is what I having been using most of the time except for occasional smaller temporary test antennas,

Customarily, going back to the first articles on the Ewe in QST ('90s), antennas in the Ewe / Flag / SuperLoop family were spec'ed with a horizontal dimension about double the vertical one. But width to height ratios less than 2 seem to work fine, as noted above.

Kaz deltas are usually specified with width 3 to 4 times height but in testing at my former Billerica, MA QTH I successfully used ones with that ratio closer to 2.

Of course the DKAZ does better than single loop designs in terms of a wider null zone. The penalty is that you need a lot more space, something many of us don't have, so we may need to resort to one-frequency-at-a-time phasing to take down the worst pests.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
Thanks for reformatting and posting this, Nick! The 18 X 18 corner fed loop
looks better than I expected; I may try this with a FLG100LN in the limited
space I'll have at Cape Lookout in a few days.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

--- End Message ---