[IRCA] good night!

I spent about an hour (2230 to 2330 UTC) last night tuning up and down the AM/MW band and noted more transatlantic carriers than I ever recall hearing before and one new station for the log on a frequency where I seldom expect to find anything!

Tuning from 530 to 1710, I was very surprised to clearly hear a station on 1070. Usually all I hear on 1070 is slop from WTIC on 1080, but last night I found WPLB with an S-9 signal. WPLB, "Mid Century Radio," is a daytimer located in Plattsburg, New York, transmitting 5,000 watts 207 miles to my north.

Examining WTIC's signal on my IC-R8600's spectrum scope, it was obvious that WTIC's signal was not as wide and strong as it normally appears here (16 miles from their 50 kW transmitter). Was there a problem with their transmitter or antenna? Did they shut down their IBOC? Dunno, but I will keep checking their signal to see if the change was temporary or permanent.

Meanwhile, I noted the following 23 "transatlantic" carriers, an amazing number (to me): 531, 549, 567, 684, 693, 774, 855, 936, 954, 963, 1008, 1044, 1053, 1152, 1179, 1215, 1278, 1296, 1305, 1539, 1584, 1593, 1602.

Comparing my collection of carriers with WA1ION's recent loggings from Cape Cod (142 miles to my east), I presume I heard the following station carriers:

531 - Algeria, Radio Algerie

549 - Algeria, Radio Algerie

567 - Spain,ÂRadio Nacional de EspaÃa, Radio 5

684 - ?

693 - United Kingdom, BBC, Radio 5

774 - Spain,ÂRadio Nacional de EspaÃa, Radio 1

855 - Spain,ÂRadio Nacional de EspaÃa, Radio 1

936 - Morocco, SNRT (SociÃtà nationale de radiodiffusion et de tÃlÃvision)

954 - Spain, Radio Onda Cero

963 - ?

1008 - ?

1044 - Spain, SER [Sociedad EspaÃola de RadiodifusiÃn (Spanish Broadcasting Company)]

1053 - United Kingdom, talkSPORT

1152 - ?

1179 - ?

1215 - United Kingdom, Absolute Radio

1278 - ?

1296 - ?

1305 - ?

1539 - ?

1584 - ?

1593 - ?

1602 - ?

Equipment used here were an ICOM IC-R8600 receiver and a Hy-GainÂ18AVT/WB-A vertical antenna.

What a night!

Stan, WA1LOU
Wolcott, CT, USA