Re: [IRCA] Brainstorming - Temporary Antenna Supports

--- Begin Message ---

Thanks to Dave Aichelman, Roy Barstow, and Bill Nollman on the Cape Cod DXers list and also Nick Hall-Patch, Colin Newell, Bruce Portzer, Chuck Hutton, Guy Atkins, and Ken Brookner on the IRCA list for the many useful suggestions about temporary antenna supports.

The info request certainly garnered a lot of sage advice that will not only benefit me but (most likely) quite a few other DXers too.

Besides supporting various sorts of wire loops, temporary vertical antennas (including those for multi-element arrays) would be another reason to try out different support poles.

I am going to check out the numerous links in the suggestions, likely purchase one or more pieces, try them out, and put together a webpage with recommendations.  I may wish to include some of the comments recently offered.  If anyone does not want his comments or name included, let me know.

Before finalizing the online article I will do some additional browsing of ham and MW DX publications and web content to see what I can find in construction articles, DXpedition / Field Day reports, and other comments.

Most likely I'll have some sort of rough draft article up before the end of October even if things I order have not yet arrived.  This will reference suggestions just made, as noted below, and other information I read later.  Eventually that same link will point to the final-version article which I hope to be a valuable resource on the topic.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA, USA

<<
Hi Mark, you may remember my 7.5' tent pole loops, used for my 1st trip to Kawaii back in 2012. I still use them and instead of bungee cords to hold them together, I now use plastic 'antenna plates' from DXE cut to size to secure the 'X' shape. My poles are 9mm thick, but there are 11mm poles out there that would allow a much larger loop to be built. Using the plastic antenna plates also means that you can change the shape of the loops and put mounting brackets on each loop to suspend them higher in the air. The best part is they collapse down to a small form factor for travel, movement and fitting through small spaces. The 'daiche' files, next to last file, is a picture of 2 of them as originally designed. Now they have the rigid plastic antenna plate as a center support. I use these loops as bi-directional, flag and as phased pairs.

Regards,

Dave Aichelman     N7NZH     Grants Pass, Oregon
__._,_.___
Posted by: daiche@xxxxxxxxx

<<
Check out,

Max-Gain Systems, Inc.
221 Greencrest Ct.
Marietta, GA.
30068-3825

Phone (770) 973-6251

They have fiberglass poles of different sizes, length, thickness, etc.

I have been using them for many years now and like them.

The sections telescope to get what height one needs.

For my truck mobile I use 2 sections that are 3ft. long that extend to 6ft. With 3ft. long I always keep them in the back behind the seats. The wire is attached to the poles and takes about 10 to 15 minutes to set up my system and ready to record. I can leave the house at 6:30 PM and in 1/2 hour at Menauhant beach be ready to go for 7 PM capture.

Take care,

Roy

__._,_.___
Posted by: roybarstow@xxxxxxxxxxx

<<
I like the Jackite fiberglass poles. They twist lock quite easily (but stay locked when upright) and you can buy them in many sizes up to 31 feet long. If the picture comes through below you can see my setup from this summer in North Dakota. Thatâs about 23 feet at the top and maybe 60 feet wide, much bigger than you want but thatâs ok, you can buy the shorter poles or buy the 31â and just open what you need. In my case I donât use the top 2 sections because they are much too thin. I also like that a standard guy ring stays put nicely about 10 feet above the ground with no other hardware needed. Thatâs where I have the white ropes attached. These poles collapse down to 46 inches and if you break a section you can buy just the section(s) you need from Jackite. https://www.jackite.com/online-store/Windsock-Flying-Poles-c21767998

Bill Nollman

Farmington, CT.

<<
I think you might be a little surprised at the telescoping poles, Mark.

32' telescoping fiberglass pole collapses to <4'
long: http://tmastco.com/main/page_products_telescopic_poles.html

This company provides a 13.5' pole that collapses to 20", carry-on
luggage dimensions:
https://www.sotabeams.co.uk/mini-telescopic-mast-4-1-m-13-5-ft/
They also provide a mount.

I notice DXEngineering now carries them
too: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/sbm-mini-poles

best wishes,

Nick

<<
I use bamboo poles - one or two sections lashed together giving me 26? lengths that last for 2 or 3 DX seasons - they tear down easily and transport well... survive nasty weather... very rustic as well... non conductive... cheap. Don?t contribute to global warming...

They are what hold up my Flags and End-fed for the Amateur bands.

Colin Newell - Victoria - B.C. CANADA -

<<
I also use bamboo poles at home.? Many years ago, a next door neighbor
planted some bamboo in their back yard.? Fast forward to 2018, and I now
have an infinite amount of the stuff growing on my side of the fence.?
It spreads rather aggressively and lends a whole new meaning to the word
sustainability.? At least I'm able to use some of the taller bamboo
plants for antenna supports after I chop them down.

Bruce

<<
I'd not think of using the painter;s extension poles. They are a bit flimsy and too short for a DKAZ or flag/loop.

The Jackite poles are fairly common in ham circles. I've owned 4 of them for at least 10 years without problems.

I also own a handful of other fiberglass poles and they have all been OK except an MFJ product. They collapse to approximately 4 feet.

Two of my poles with the bases at https://chuckhuttonblog.wordpress.com/

form the 18 x 18 corner fed loop I use at Rockworks. It can be assembled in 10 minutes in total darkness (with a flashlight). The concrete bases are thick enough to withstand moderate coastal windstorms and might be a bit heavy for a several hour DXpedition.

Chuck

=====

And here is another option : the satellite dish stands that RV'ers use.

Here is a link to one on Amazon, although I have seen them a little cheaper..

https://www.amazon.com/Satellite-Tripod-Directv-Network-Mount/dp/B00TXSND8G/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1537510091&sr=8-14&keywords=rv+satellite+dish+mount

[https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41u61ro81tL._SY300_QL70_.jpg]<https://www.amazon.com/Satellite-Tripod-Directv-Network-Mount/dp/B00TXSND8G/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1537510091&sr=8-14&keywords=rv+satellite+dish+mount>

Amazon.com: Satellite Tripod for Directv or Dish Network 2 ...<https://www.amazon.com/Satellite-Tripod-Directv-Network-Mount/dp/B00TXSND8G/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1537510091&sr=8-14&keywords=rv+satellite+dish+mount>
www.amazon.com
Buy Satellite Tripod for Directv or Dish Network 2" & 1 5/8" OD Satellite Mount work on FTA as well: Satellite Television - Amazon.com FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

<<
I concur with all the comments about fiberglass poles, especially Chuck's..
he knows whereof he speaketh.

I'll mention that I'm fond of "pro audio speaker stands", such as this one
(I own three):
https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Universal-Speaker-Stand-Holder/dp/B000E0PPG0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537502614&sr=8-3&keywords=pro+speaker+stand
The pricing is very reasonable and the stands can hold anything from
fiberglass poles to Wellbrook loops. For the Wellbrook loops I add one of
these mounts:
https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Mounting-Adapter-Bracket-Tripod/dp/B00IGGRXT6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537502847&sr=8-3&keywords=pro+speaker+stand+mounting+bracket

While the stands won't weather high winds on the Rockwork cliffs, they will
hold up better in moderate wind if you add some weight like wrap-around leg
weights (such as used for exercising).

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

<<
There are nested poles that collapse to a bit more than a foot in length
for backpackers and SOTA ops.? I don't have a link handy, but if you
look around the QRP and SOTA sites you'll probably find them.? They come
in various extended lengths--probably not inexpensive, though...

You'll probably find ideas and gadgets for quick release antenna
supports and such.? The goals of the field QRP and SOTA ops are close to
yours--fast set up and tear down..

Ken NS7V
Lummi Island, WA