Re: [IRCA] [nrc-am] Loop comparisons / suggestions

Hi Russ,

I've owned the DoxyTronics loop that Paul mentioned, and also have compared
it to my Wellbrook ALA1530LN Pro.

The DoxyTronics is no longer sold under that name, but it still comes from
an Ebay seller in Oregon who goes by the username "antennas4less". In his
auctions he calls it a "SignalLoop HF-315".

Like Paul I also found the DoxyTronics to cover a wider range than
advertised but it doesn't even get close to covering medium wave. At times
it was competitive with the Wellbrook on shortwave--mostly medium strength
signals and above--but I found it to be in 2nd place on really weak DX. The
big advantage of the Wellbrook for SDR radio users is its broadband
coverage; the DoxyTronics loop needs tuning & repeaking every 5 kHz or so
for best performance. If you are OK with shortwave only performance, and
one signal at a time tuning, this ~130 loop is a really great buy. Plus, it
knocks down for easy transportation to camping trips, DX outings, etc.

I have seen some privately-shared lab measurements and test results of the
W6LVP antenna. The two things I recall about it was noisy amplification
compared to Wellbrook loops, and sensitivity variations across its
frequency range. However, for the cost I would say the W6LVP is a pretty
good value for the USA DXer, and it's made well...but so are the Wellbrook
Loops. If you can afford Wellbrook loops they are certainly the top
performing loops all around, and are worth the cost.

For a weak signal medium wave comparison and video of two models of the
Wellbrook loops, see this article:
https://swling.com/blog/2015/11/guest-post-wellbrook-1530lnpro-vs-ala1530s-imperium-loop-antennas/

73,

Guy Atkins