[IRCA] Oregon Cliff (Rockwork 4) Ultralight DU's for 8-2

     The Kiwi regulars were pounding in with serious force after 1300 this morning, along with a relatively obscure 1 kW NZ station which managed to join the parade-- 936-Chinese Voice. Craig and I were both astonished to receive the low powered ethnic station at an S9 level for several minutes, during which it seemed like Australian signals had fallen off of the cliff. Fiji and Tonga also made decent return appearances, finishing off a session which at first seemed slow to get in gear.

     Craig and I were able to set up at the preferred Rockwork 4 site in between two "sleeping squatters," who fortunately stayed asleep this time. As we set up our FSL's and PVC bases in the predawn darkness some light rain started to fall, but it didn't affect our operations. Prior to 1300 it was tough to find any really strong DU's except for 1017-A3Z, but the floodgates to New Zealand kicked in after that. 531, 567, 603, 657, 675, 702, 765 and (gulp) 936 seemed to get a sudden turbo boost, kicking their Australian competition completely off of the cliff. "Frequent Flyer" Craig has been catching on very quickly with FSL-based live DXing and propagation assessment, though, and when I tried to alert him to 936's sudden romp around 1309 he calmly answered, "Yes, Gary, I'm recording it right now."

     A search for the ultra-rare 585 Maori station proved fruitless this time, though, so 936-Chinese Voice definitely deserves the prize as the Morning Star of this session. It joined both 558-Fiji and 1017-Tonga as managing its best ever (S9+) signals during this just-started DXpedition.

531  PI   Auckland, NZ   Samoan talk at S9 level at 1238- in a running fight with the presumed More FM all session long  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/x3yesd182li5xac9bdotyocu4bqen4tr

531  More FM (presumed)  The correct modern rock format at an S9 level around 1255 (during dominance over PI in an all-Kiwi show) but no ID's forthcoming  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/vwmjvqrkbko28j8fpg3b9iaym7z71t3w

657  Star   Wellington/ Tauranga, NZ   Monster level with New Zealand economic news at 1302  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/nb0c0e6yurqellmb9okwdnzhdg00lglb

936  Chinese Voice   Auckland, NZ   How can this signal be 1 kW at 6,866 miles? I must still be halfway asleep after the overnight drive in from Puyallup! But Craig Barnes heard it, too, so we can't both be dreaming. Far and away its strongest performance ever at the Cliff  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/9atqt5g542p3j818snnm95mtoaofth92

1017  A3Z   Nuku'alofa, Tonga   Beautiful island music at S9 level at 1318; a little less overwhelming than yesterday, but still very potent  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/k4tnfovufud0ek4zjkaexcpwayug5v97

73 and Good DX,

Gary DeBock (DXing with Craig Barnes at the Rockwork 4 ocean cliff near Manzanita, OR, USA)

7.5" loopstick CC Skywave SSB + XHDATA D-808 portables (American innovation and Chinese imitation) +

15" and 17" Airport-closing FSL antennas