Re: [IRCA] Sangean PRD15 / HDR-16

Guy, thank you for correcting me! Sorry for my dumb mistake. Yes, I was
talking about the HDR-16! (I also have the similar PRD15, which as you say
is sans HD.)

The Sparc radio I use for FM HD is the $65  SPARC HD Radio SHD-TX2:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VIVD7ZU/ref=oh_aui_search_detail
page?ie=UTF8&psc=1  Not a bad little radio. On a high ridgetop 60 miles
south of Pittsburgh, it will decode most of the ten-or-so HD1,2,3,4s in the
Burg. Surprising with its tiny FM antenna, only 15" long! Pretty decent on
AM too, very directional. On AM, the "HD" indicator lights up on a
half-dozen clears at night (780, 810, 1060, etc.) (My QTH is in the SW
corner of PA).

The Sparc is a battery-muncher though; turn off the emergency alerts. I
always pop out one of the AAs after using the radio to make sure I still
have useful batteries next time! Otherwise, nice little radio, fun to hunt
HDs with.

As for my preferred FM portable for DX, the Skywave is very decent,
sensitive, but sadly lacks RDS. I also use a Grundig G3 Globe Traveler,
which has RDS and a real antenna (36").

The Skywave SSB is my all-around preferred portable DXer.
Super-user-friendly/intuitive, simple controls, very sensitive/selective.
Its SW, WX, and Air bands work really well too. Super-handy to take
anywhere, an "ultralight delight."

Gary, sounds like my next buy is the little $70 wonder you describe!