Re: [IRCA] Summer DXing (was: [CapeDX] When it Rains it pours)

<<<   Basically, as some of us know, if you can avoid static-crash nights, there is still a lot of DX to be heard in the heart of summer.  This is especially true when talking about southerly targets enjoying greater length of darkness.
Not sure how the whole "DX season" thing got started.  I suppose some parts of the country such as the Deep South and parts of the Midwest have nearly continuous thunderstorm activity.  In the northeast and the northwest you can sometimes pick your spots for relatively noise free success.

Gary DeBock running Down Unders from OR and WA would be the West Coast version of your Cape Cod summer DX, Roy.

783 hasn't shown much here either lately.  What is there is probably Spain / Syria instead of the usual Mauritania flamethrower.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA >>>

Thanks Mark,

Your descriptions of summer trans-equatorial propagation on the Cape are always very interesting

Summer ocean coast DXing does seem to be increasingly popular here in the Northwest, where we plan to have 5 DXers for our  annual Rockwork 4 ocean cliff extravaganza next month.

Although the distinctive site has a reputation for being a New Zealand-favoring venue, Tom and I both came away with a couple of western Australians (531 and 558) last year, plus, some low-powered Oz stations. Fiji, Tonga and Kiribati are also regulars. Early August seems to be prime time for the 9,000+ mile Western Australia path around sunrise.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)