[IRCA] My dog story

My dog woke me up at 4 AM to take her outside. After she was done, I climbed back upstairs and concluded I could go back to sleep after I checked the radio bands.

Starting at 1710 kHz, I slowly began tuning and stopped short at 1700 kHz where I heard a weak signal. WJCC (Miami Springs, Florida) shows up here often enough that I thought that's what I was hearing, but after a few minutes, I realized that the back-to-back music with no announcements was not WJCC's format.

With no announcements, it was going to be a difficult ID, so I had Radio-Locator list all the stations on 1700 <https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?call=&band=AM&freq=1700&freq_exact=Yes&city=&state=&country=&format=&owner_search=starts&owner=&scope=&is_ful=Y&is_lp=Y&is_lic=Y&is_cp=Y&sort=Call&count=20&sr=1&sid=>. Then I went down the list clicking each station's audio link to find the station audio that matched what I was hearing on the air. Thus, I was able to identify the station: KKLF in Richardson, Texas, transmitting 1 kW, 1419 miles to my west-southwest; my first logging of a Texas station on the AM band!

Equipment used was the ICOM IC-R8600 receiver and the Hy-Gain 18AVT/WB-A vertical antenna.

73,

Stan, WA1LOU

Wolcott, CT, USA