Re: [IRCA] Cape Cod, MA, USA - recent logs

--- Begin Message ---
<<
OK so Algeria 891 is back on now. 73 KAZ

<<
> On a recent KiwiSDR check, they were being received in Italy at local level. Apparently their years of testing, sporadic DRM and silence are over.
>

> Chuck

<<
I can confirm that they were well heard on a bedside portable last week in Italy.

John Fisher,
Kingston, ON

The station had a decent signal, about equal to 890 (Progreso/WAMG), which is not bad considering the rather poor to mediocre TA conditions this time of year.  Audio was actually decent as well, something that wasn't always a sure thing in the past.

Thanks to Chuck Hutton and John Fisher for the comments based on closer-up listening.  In May I did some online SDR listening when Bill Whitacre had his receiver in Maine operating.  A couple of times after Bill's radio went offline I listened a bit on SDRs in the Dominican Republic, Bonaire, FL, NJ, Iceland, Ireland, and the UK just to gather a bit of intelligence when home listening wasn't possible because of local thunderstorms or antenna leads removed for lawn mowing.  I haven't done much online listening for the last month though.

Cape DXer Roy Barstow has been doing some beach DXpeditioning and may send me a thumbdrive of files to check out.  Some are from the Chatham Lighthouse, a location known for kickin' TA and Brazilian signals.  South Africans are among his catches.  Meanwhile I'll do some further antenna tweaking here.  In September or October I might do my own DXpedition over to Orleans or Eastham, MA.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

--- End Message ---