[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, April 28-May 25, 2018

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during EDT; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page69
[over 299,000 views! as of May 25, 2018]

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA [if any], unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** CANADA. 2748.97 or .98, May 4 at 0149 UT, Synthyl in English with
marine weather, misleadingly mentions Washington DC; ``she`` has a
pleasant, well-enunciated voice, except hard to copy proper names
other than ``Bay of Fundy`` at 0152 UT. As carrierless pure SSB, it`s
difficult to pinpoint, but voice sounds most natural 20-30 Hz offset
below nominal 2749.

Now to look up which station it be. The CCG website now has archived
the 2017 schedule we had referred to, as outdated, redirecting us to
the 2018. The pdf version
http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/folios/01224/docs/RAMN-2018-eng.pdf
runs 333 pages! So slower computers might avoid it, too much info.
Here`s the quick one for the Atlantic area:
http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/Marine-Communications/RAMN-2018/Part2#21

And search the closest previous time to the log. Fortunately, it`s the
very first one:
``Halifax MCTS/VCS â Broadcasts
Time UT Site     Frequency Contents
0140    Chebogue 2749J3E   Radiotelephony (English followed by French)
    Technical marine, synopsis, forecasts and wave height forecasts
for marine areas 201 to 208.
    U.S. weather forecasts for Coastal Waters (Eastport to Schoodic
Point, Maine) and Offshore Waters (Gulf of Maine to the Hague Line).
    Notices to Shipping in areas Bay of Fundy, South and West Coast
Nova Scotia`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) See NEWFOUNDLAND

==========

** OKLAHOMA. 530, May 3 at 2030 UT check, K530AM, Vance AFB, has
resumed modulating irrelevant PSAs after days and days of dead air;
maybe yesterday or ante-yesterday when I didn`t check.

530, May 16 at 2004 UT, ``K530AM``, Vance AFB has again
crashed to dead air. Still so May 17 at 1555 UT.

530 kHz, May 19 circa 1930 UT, I am driving along Rupe street near
Vance AFB, so try to hear K530AM on caradio --- not a bit of it vs
high storm noise level. Back home with a BFO I can tell the carrier is
still on, 1229 UT check May 20 (Glenn Hauser, Enid, DX LISTENING
DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1230, May 3 at 1200 UT, WBBZ is sufficiently into the
dayside to dominate any remaining skywave, ID as ``Hometown Radio,
WBBZ, Ponca City``, CBS bong and news. I`m astounded to learn that
WBBZ`s talkhosts are all residents of Ponca City: Dan Patrick, Rush
Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Dave Ramsey, Fox Sports, Coast to Coast, Kim
Komando [come on, what`s her real name?], etc., etc. O, there is one
local hour, M-F 12-13 UT, Good Morning[,] Ponca City! And per the sked
http://www.poncapost.com/wbbz-schedule
WBBZ has no programming on Sundays, which I rather doubt (Glenn
Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

==========

** U S A. 910, May 2 at 1205 UT, ``Kyrie Eleison`` and then Christian
service in English. First thought it might be RCatholic, but NW/SE and
most likely from KPOF Denver, which per NRC AM Log now stands for
``Point of Faith``, rather than ``Pillar of Fire``; so the old slogan
was a bit too threatening? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1010, May 4 at 0136 UT, lo-key chat in Spanish by a padre
with slight Anglo accent, about PJP2, then musulmanes en Filipinas
sending their kids to Catholic schools. By now I`m thinking to compare
it to WEWN 5970, and sure enough, it`s the same, about two words
behind SW. 1010 loops slightly CCW from E-W, which is also just right
for KTNZ, Amarillo, Tejas.

Six years ago KTNZ was ``Super Tejano`` per a stalled FB page searched
out; last year it was ESPN in English; and some otherwhen hits called
it `LaRaza``. But flipped again back to Spanish, this time another
religion, EWTN, as first heard here last October as in DXLD 17-40 et
seq. (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1060-, May 4 at 0133 UT, contact info in Spanish with a 605
AC phone number?? That would be South Dakota, but I don`t think KGFX
Pierre would be in Spanish; then KIJN calls, and P O Box 458, Farwell
TX 79325. SSB tuning eliminates the characteristic fast SAH from this
always off-frequency station against anything else. 10 kW daytimer
runs all night, but now is still legal as official FCC May sunset is
0145 UT (also August; June & July 0200 UT --- not that they care)
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, April 27 circa 1900 UT, KLEY Wellington KS, brief recording off
the caradio showing the talking carrier cutting on and off beside the
rapid click-click. Disregard too much background line noise along most
Enid streets; will try again if I find a quiet spot:
http://www.w4uvh.net/KLEY1130SNAFU2.mp3

1130, April 28 circa 1700 UT, KLEY Wellington KS still out of whack
cutting on and off. Another caradio recording made at Enid`s kite
festival field away from power lines:
http://www.w4uvh.net/KLEY1130SNAFU3.mp3
According to a sign visible for years, it`s a large vacant lot for
sale by Hiram Champlin of 1390 KCRC about a mile away.

1130, May 3 at 2030 check, KLEY in SNAFU mode, as more often
that not. These episodes were first noted here 2.5+ months ago,
February 14, the description still correct, altho the counts may vary:

``1130, Feb 14 at 1925 UT on caradio near downtown Enid, KLEY
Wellington KS is all messed up. Continuous spark-pulses at steady rate
of about 288/minute or 4.8 per second on this frequency only so not
external QRN; mixed in are very irregular split-second flashes of
carrier modulated mostly with music; sometimes once a second, other
times with long 5+ second pauses. During one 60-second span, I counted
39 of them``

Any licensee so incompetent/ignorant of its AM station deserves to
lose it, if not be fined.

1130, May 6 at 1328 UT quick check: KLEY Wellington KS is still SNAFU,
pop-pop, click-click.

1130, May 14 at 1453 UT check, KLEY Wellington KS is back in
whack, for the moment, music with no breakups; I`m confident it will
be SNAFU soon at random further chex.

1130, May 17 at 1555 UT check, KLEY Wellington KS is back to
SNAFU mode as described countless times before.

1130, May 24 at 1229 UT, KLEY Wellington KS is still SNAFU (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1150, May 14 at 1454 UT, mixture of two stations on E/W
antenna, less so on the N/S with KSAL Salina KS dominating. They make
fast SAH of maybe 12 Hz. The second station is probably KNED McAlester
OK, with KOLJ Quanah TX just across from OK also possible. KSAL is 5/5
kW U2, but stronger here at night with a lobe toward us. KOLJ is 530
watts day, and KNED 1000 watts day, both nondirexional (Glenn Hauser,
Enid OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1370, May 18 at 1202 UT, adstring, and then station promos
for ``Talk 13-70`` and talk1370.com, never any local references, but
that leads to Austin TX, officially KJCE Rollingwood, 5/0.5 kW U4
rather than slogan merely as ``Talk Radio`` in NRC AM Log. The true
call letters are nowhere to be seen on the homepage, but some hits by
searching further, including this helpful:
http://www.talk1370.com/improving-am-signal-reception
which also tries to lead listeners to an HD2 FM simulcast

Why am I hearing this instead of 5 kW ND KGNO 1370 in much closer
Dodge City KS? Because it`s gone, or maybe QRP. KJCE pattern does push
broadly northward, not southward.

Then to `America`s First News` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

============

UNIDENTIFIED. 2940, 2960, 3030, May 9 at 1026-1040 UT, probable MW
harmonix, mainly JBA carriers.

2940, of particular interest, since Dave Valko, PA, had HJNT, Cali,
Colombia on April 4 and 6, 2 x 1470+ measured on 2940.13. So I measure
this one hoping for a match, but find it on 2939.94; it`s almost gone
by 1033 UT.

2960.00, achieves a trace of music modulation at 1032 UT. Previously
IDed here was WERM, Mobile AL, 2 x 1480.

3030, May 9 at 1037 UT, JBA carriers, seems two double-hetting. 3 X 1010?

These are on the R75, which also gets JBA carriers on many nearby
frequencies: 2950, 2970, 2980, 2990, 3010, 3020, 3040, 3050, 3080,
3090 --- but all of these vanish when I switch from Preamp 2 to Preamp
1, or Preamps off; thus I think they are receiver overload images; and
most do not work out to be possible 2x or 3x MW harmonix anyway.

This is NOT the case with the first three, 2940, 2960, 3030, which are
still there with no preamp and believed to be real DX receptions. Pre-
sunrise is certainly the best time of day for these, when I am seldom
awake (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Still no Mostly Mexican MWDX --- spring doldrums, lots of storm noise

--- End Message ---