[IRCA] Pirate on 1710 in Hartford

Saturday morning (4:15 AM EDST), I dropped a relative off at the airport (BDL) in Windsor Locks, CT.

On the trip home, I was solo, so I did some DXing with the car radio in my 2007 Subaru Outback Sport. I tuned to 1700 kHz and found WJCC in Miami Springs, Florida fading in and out. Nice catch on a car radio!

As I entered Hartford from the north on I-91, a station on an adjacent frequency was splattering onto 1700, so I tuned up and down and found a very strong signal on 1710 transmitting Spanish music and Spanish announcements. The signal was very strong as I passed through downtown Hartford. Heading west on I-84, the signal faded out about 5 miles west of downtown Hartford.

I have heard a mystery Spanish station on 1710 in the recent past from home 17 miles southwest of Hartford, but have never been able to identify it.The format of the station I heard Saturday morning matches up with what I heard in the past, so I think that solves the mystery.

Stan Horzepa, WA1LOU
RX and ANT = stock radio and antenna in a 2007 Subaru Outback Sport