Re: [IRCA] Cruise ship DXing

Walt,

Thanks for your comments on cruise ship DXing. Of particular interest was your statement: "Thereâs not any good way of knowing position, or predicted route.â

We go back and forth between Princess and HAL and in nearly all cases, there is a ship-produced TV channel which displays speed and coordinates. Only twice has this not been the case: (1) we left Ft. Lauderdale for Halifax but had to re-route because of a tough storm up there (not sure why they couldnât reprogram it on board) and (2) on our December South Caribbean cruise, they were modifying the system. Shipboard Wifi is exorbitant and slow so we usually donât bother with it. Instead, I use he Compass program on my iPhone to get coordinates whenever there is enough signal to do it (like, in or near ports where we use Wifi at Starbucks or McDonaldâs).

My DX tools include a DX-398, a Gary DeBock FSL and a little cassette recorder which has line in capability. We always get a balcony and always request a room on the side of the ship which faces land the most. Thus far, I have not been sufficiently venturesome to lug the equipment anywhere outside the room. Likewise, FM is of interest too but I am not sure I would bother with it if it werenât for RDS.

Weâre going on a South American cruise next year sometime. It should be challenging keeping notes since EVERYTHING will be (1) new and (2) in Spanish.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n
HQ180 & ICF2010