[IRCA] HAWAII DX

My wife, a DX-398 and a marvelous Gary DeBock FSL ventured to Kailua-Kona (Big Island), Kaanapali (Maui) and Lihue (Kauai) 3/29-4/16. Foreign DX is listed below; domestics will come later. Time is HST since this is meant to reflect what you would more than likely hear if you were there and not what you would necessarily hear from the Mainland. Except as noted, all loggings are between 8:30-10:30pm local time. Please note there are no Kauai loggings; the time share we were in was hopelessly overwhelmed by QRN. This was disappointing because I was looking forward to comparing reception with what I heard in Poipu in 1984.

612 â 4QR Brisbane. Fair in both Kona and Maui.

621 â TUVALU. Reasonable  strength in Kona and good on Maui 4/4 5am but only a het on Kauai.

666 â Japanese 4/4 5am, Maui (JOBK Osaka)

747 â JOIB Sapporo even with UNID 4/4 5am, Maui

774 â 3LO Melbourne & JOUB Akita mixing it up 4/4 5am, Maui

846 â KIRIBATI. I have no notes indicating I ever heard this station from anywhere

963 â Very loud 4/4 5am but I didnât hang around long enough to ID it

972 â HLCA very loud 4/4 5am, Maui

1017 âTONGA. Good in Kona but mixed with an excitable 2KY on Maui. I think I heard JJ in there too (JOLB Fukuoka)

1044 â CHINA. Changzhou presumed with JJ programming. Very loud 4/4 5am Maui

1098 â V7AB MAJURO. Gangbusters in Kona but barely even a het on Maui (KFAX loud).

1350 â UNID Asian. Sounded Japanese but Hiroshima has only 20kw.

1440 â KIRIBATI. Very strong in Kona but not a peep from it in Maui. From Kona, ABC news 4/1 9pm followed by hymn-like chorale. At 9:37p, weather and tides by soft-spoken lady in English followed by ID. Very strong level.

1440 â JOWF Sapporo. Good level with kiddie program 4/11 5am.

1548 â 4QD Emerald fair 3/31 10p, Kona

1593 â Chinese fair 4/11 5am. Changzhou presumed. 4/4 5am, Maui.

As for Hawaii, all stations were heard in all three locations. KWAI-1080 is the weakest of the 5kw stations. KIKI-990 has a bad hum. KNUI-550 is poorer in all locations than KMVI-900. In Kaanapali (NW corner of Maui), the mid-island stations (KNUI KCIK KMVI KAOI KEWE KUAU) donât do a great job. Many Honolulu stations are louder.

Domestics: coming up.

Pete Taylor
Tacoma, WA
12225w 4719n