From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Gary DeBock <d1028gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 2:20 PM
To: Theo; Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] UnID Oz Pest on 693 kHz

Thanks Bruce, Chuck and Theo,

Your detailed listening and 3AW identity clues are greatly appreciated!

693-3AW was one of three very prolific Oz pest stations which routinely fouled up exotic frequencies every morning around sunrise in the Cooks. Probably the worst one was on 1566 (presumably 3NE), which not only jumbled up Hindu-sounding speech around 1700 but had a talent for building up strength whenever a DU English co-channel was on the frequency (possibly Norfolk Island, but also possibly 4GM). The transmitter power of either of these DU's is extremely low, but 3NE made sure I didn't get a clear shot at either one of them. Another Oz mega-pest was on 918, where it just barely let up long enough to let Cambodia's National Anthem squeak through at 1659 on 4-12. Of course the ABC big guns on 576 and 594 took out any clear shots at Bill W.'s Myanmar, although 576 was pretty Star-struck already. Toward the end of the DXpedition I finally discovered that the best way to deal with these nonstop Oz nuisances was to null them into oblivion with the Ultralight's loopstick, and hop
 e that the exotic stations could somehow squeak out some signal from their slightly different bearings. Thanks again for your listening assistance.

Gary (back to the reality of Pedestrian DX)