Re: [IRCA] 630-Cook Islands Sign On Routine (1555 UTC)

Hi Paul,

A lot of these Pacific island transmitters suffer for lack of maintenance and repair parts. The salt water environment, hot weather and cyclone damage take their toll. 630-RCI is apparently one of the worst for an underperforming signal-- I tried hard to hear it in Kona, Hawaii twice last year, but came away empty both times.

<<< B.) isnât it non directional? then thereâs no nulls, that applies to
directional stations >>>

By nulls, I meant the null when you direct the loopstick on a portable radio to null out a station. Both the hot-rodded Ultralights and 5" FSL antenna can do this very effectively here, completely nulling out any MW station on the band. Frequently S9 signals appear in the null of another S9 signal, such as for 630-RCI and 630-4QN at night here.

Gary