[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, March 10-16+, 2018

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during EDT; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT period to the previous date by ELT].

[Well, almost all: in this report, still from the EST era of UT -5 were the March 10 KLEY 1130 log; the 1460 KZUE; the 1460 KCLE; and the 1620 KOZN/WTAW of UT March 11, and I will flag them]

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page67
[over 288,000 views! as of March 16, 2018]

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA [if any], unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 960-, March 15 at 1251 UT, I notice that when nulled as much as possible, local KGWA Enid has CCI from some off-key music, indicating an off-frequency station. (It`s been a long time since I`ve managed to log anything thru KGWA, which used to facilitate that with a frequent 5-minute Fox-hole of dead air at local midnight.)

But stepping 10 kHz on the DX-398 with offset USB BFO, it`s evident that the off-frequency station, slightly on the low side, is KGWA itself! I.e., a slightly lower het pitch from it than from stations on adjacent frequencies..

So then I switch to the R-75 with max attenuation, no preamps to attempt to measure KGWA like I do for various SW stations off-frequency. Closest I come up with is 959.9955, i.e. 4.5 Hz or 3 sesquiHz below. In computing a receiver readout correxion factor, I rely upon KTOK to be exactly on 1000.0000, perhaps an exaggerated accuracy (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** OKLAHOMA. 1460, February 19 at 2102 UT, KZUE El Reno, 500 watt daytimer in Spanish for OKC market, with a ``Grupo FÃrmula Sports Report``. Plugs into Mexican network during certain hours. (Date correct: very overlooked from a pocket notebook in car, did not get transferred to main logbook) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) [EST era]

===========

** U S A. 700, March 14 at 2041 UT, at a quiet parking spot in western Enid, gospel huxtress in Spanish, reverby venue and edge of groundwave coverage make copy difficult, but 2051 UT mentions ``sangre de cristo``, and I bet it`s not about the bloody New Mexico mountain range. So it`s KHSE Wylie TX (Metroplex) currently formatted with this, not Asian. Could not copy such an ID at 2100 UT, but in English did mention at least one FM translator, and then a definite ID for: KBXD, 1480, Voz EvangÃlica, and alternating English and Spanish. NRC AM Log has both of these as part of the ``Radio Setecientos`` group (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1130, March 10 at 2222 UT, oh2, KLEY Wellington KS is way out of whack again as I was reporting day after day in February, but had not checked it lately after it recovered. I.e. rapid noise pulses at regular rate of about 280/minute, mixed with fragments of carrier with modulation cutting on and off at slower and very irregular rate. Totally bonkers, unlistenable, but who cares, as long as the FM translator is working, maybe (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) [EST era]

** U S A. 1130, March 13 at 1922 UT check, KLEY Wellington KS is still SNAFU with carrier cutting on and off and pulses mixing, as I described before.

1130, March 14 at 2040 UT check, KLEY is back in whack with ``The Wave, wheat capital`` slogan, but comes and goes and will likely go out of whack again. And so it does! SNAFU March 15 at 1907 UT check (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1200, March 13 at 2055 UT, weak signal at quiet spot in western Enid on caradio, ad mentioning I-35 exit 186 (which would be Neu Braunfels), i.e. WOAI San Antonio; and then it fades out. So a bit of skywave this early? I suppose more likely than groundwave, almost 500 miles at mid-band. Or sporadic E.

Despite one guy with a tagline pooh-poohing comparing MF to VHF for Es, I suspect there is a correlation, and more research needs to be done with ionosondes, etc. It needs to be proved that Es has a *lower* frequency limit which is above the MF BC band. It is certainly evident on the lower HF bands. Shortly I was hearing pileups on CB, indicating MUF of at least 28 MHz, and a 6m Es DXmap shows MUF up to 72 MHz over Tennessee/North Carolina by 2225 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1460, March 10 at 1319 UT, Vietnamese sometimes rises above the SRS mix, loops NNW/SSE. Presumed KCLE Cleburne TX (near Metroplex), which last October as in DXLD 17-42:
http://www.w4uvh.net/dxld1742.txt
was believed to be the source of Asian languages, even relaying Radio Free Asia; ex ``the Outlaw`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) [EST era]

** U S A. 1620 kHz, March 11 at 0155 UT, loop repeating every 10 seconds: tone, and ``Westwood One, Sports 4``, obviously a satellite channel marker never intended to be put on the air, from presumed KOZN Bellevue (Omaha) NE, listed in NRC AM Log as only with Fox Sports Radio.

This and WTAW College Station TX are the dominant 1620 signals here, and underneath the loop I do hear a scientific discussion, i.e. on WTAW Saturday sked in CT as
6:00pm 9:00pm Science Fantastic with Dr. Michio Kaku
http://mkaku.org/
A redeeming quality of this station dedicating 8 hours every weekday to Beck/Limbaugh/Hannity crap (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) [EST era]

--- End Message ---