[IRCA] MW-DXing in Hawaii

Thanks to Colin for posting a list of suggestions for hobbyists contemplating a DXing vacation to Hawaii on DXer.Ca. After a couple of trips last year to Kona on the Big Island's west coast, I can strongly recommend such a trip as a thrilling way to enjoy great transoceanic MW-DXing propagation during lean solar years  http://www.dxer.ca/index.php/our-stuff/101-medium-wave-dxing-in-hawaii-part-1

One additional tip for those contemplating such a trip would be to consider visiting Hawaii during the summer months, when the  big motels offer huge discounts in order to fill up empty rooms. Our motel in Kona (the Royal Kona Resort) offers discounts up to 30% on room rates in July and August, in comparison to January rates. As anyone who has chased DU-DX on the North American west coast can confirm, South Pacific DX in July and August isn't bad at all. In late August a DXer could probably enjoy both enhanced DU and Asian TP-DX from a forward location like Hawaii.

Thanks also to Colin for posting the results of my December TP-DXing trip to Kona at http://www.dxer.ca/index.php/our-stuff/102-mw-dxing-hawaii-part-2  In contrast to the relatively bland Asian propagation that west coast DXers are currently tolerating, the wild clash of Pacific Island DU and Asian TP signals every evening was unforgettable!

73 and Good DX,

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)