Re: [IRCA] LA DX to HI

I really believe that it comes down to knowledge and confidence.

I bought a copy of (I think) Communications World in 1973 or 1974 that had a feature on TA DX... hearing Europe from America on medium wave and I went, âwait... what?â

And then a sample IRCA bulletin in 1974 where I saw someone hear Okinawa on 1178 KHz on the West Coast... granted it was a megawatt...

I met Nick Hall-Patch because of this same sample IRCA bulletin. âAnother DXER in my town? Ya kidding me!â

When I first tuned 1178 VOA Japan in (and I still have the cassette recordings...) I just about peed myself with giddiness. It was one of those magic hobby moments where your mind is blown for all time.

Hearing the UK, Germany and Russia on medium wave in 1976 was also one of those moments.

My point being: you can hear anything, anywhere if you are willing to put in the time with the right knowledge, equipment and timing.

Colin Newell - Kona, Hawaii â