 Subject: [IRCA] LA DX to HI
 To: irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Cc: "Mark Connelly" <markwa1ion@xxxxxxx>
 Date: Thursday, January 11, 2018, 12:48 PM

 <<
 Richard E Wood also had lots of Latin
 American MWDX from his location inland on the eastern side
 of BIHI, near Hilo I believe. I see zero mention of LA DX
 among current visitors. 73, Glenn Hauser

 I had the same thought. Beyond
 obvious Mexicans, Richard had quite a few South Americans in
 the book including Pacific Coast ones from Chile et al. -
 ones seldom logged in the east - as well as some of the ones
 more common on this side of the country (e.g. Brazil,
 Venezuela, Colombia) that don't seem to have much traction
 on the US / Canada Mountain and Pacific time zones.

 Going another direction, Richard also
 had a lot of interior Asian DX from India, a bunch of
 "-stan" countries, and even a scattering of stations from
 Europe and Africa: difficult routes.

 Of course being there all the time has
 an advantage over vacation visiting. Full size
 Beverage antennas near the shore didn't hurt either.

 His old reports could point to times
 when looking for far-flung DX such as Argentina, India, and
 Saudi Arabia may have at least a slight chance of
 reception.

 Serious US / Canada domestic DX would
 be another worthwhile activity. Of course KFI, KNBR,
 etc. are the barn-burners but how far east can you go ... on
 the clears, the regionals, and the graveyard
 frequencies? There could be some surprises.Â
 Newfoundland to Hawaii ... who knows?
 Â Â
 <<
 When I was in Hilo last, there was
 Spanish all across the dial - I always thought: how hard
 would it be to hear South America in Hawaii?

 I think because we hear so little SA DX
 in WCNA, we don?t know what to listen for.

 Colin Newell - Victoria - B.C. CANADA
 -

 Two things need to happen.

 (1) Read Richard's old reports and
 filter for what stations are still actually active.Â
 Splits, of course, are all gone, though there are some
 stations (like Venezuela 1039.62) far enough off frequency
 to be "sort of" split. Dates / times of receptions are
 still useful, especially if you can research what was going
 on geomagnetically then. This is even true for "dead"
 station logs since the reports still can point to
 propagation viability into specific areas at certain times
 of year / hours of the day.

 (2) Capture the band with SDR
 technology at a variety of times from an hour before sunset
 onwards. Water in the right directions will definitely
 help. There are plenty of Latin American experts on
 the RealDX Yahoogroup and elsewhere to sort out your
 unIDs. East Coast and Europe based Latin American log
 reports (from FL, NC, NJ, MA, ME, PEI, NL, UK, Finland,
 etc.) will highlight a lot of the "usuals" along with
 network affiliations / parallel MW & SW freq's, slogans,
 characteristic pips / chimes, music or talk format, and
 other tidbits of possibly-useful information (advertisers,
 local politicians / issues, churches, pop culture, and so
 on).

 The fact that "usuals" heard in Europe
 or NE USA / E Canada aren't all going to be the same as what
 you get in HI still puts an element of challenge and
 discovery into the mix. You will hear more South
 America than on the US West Coast just as more is heard in
 Newfoundland than on the US East Coast. Big separation
 from co-channel domestic pests and mostly over-water routes
 do matter.

 Mark Connelly, WA1ION
 South Yarmouth, MA
 those of the original contributors and do not necessarily
 reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its editors, publishing
 staff, or officers

 -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

--- End Message ---