Re: [IRCA] Hawaii adventure

Hi Karl,

In comparison to a relatively quiet Mainland location, Hawaii can indeed seem to be loaded with RFI noise. The number and power of the AM and FM transmitters seem excessive for such small islands, and the large motels have all kinds of RFI pollution. If a DXer comes here expecting to receive tons of DX while sitting inside the average motel room using simple portables, he is likely to be very disappointed.

First of all, you can increase your chances of DXing success by getting away from the most RFI-saturated island-- Oahu (particularly Honolulu, Waikiki Beach, etc). Trying to chase rare DX in that environment is little better than trying to do it in downtown Chicago. The farther away you can get from that RF zoo, the better (Kauai, the Big Island, etc.). I was a Navy DXer in Pearl Harbor from 1976-79, so I am speaking from experience. Next, if your main interest is TP-DX, try to get a location on the western side of an island. Most of these islands have significant hills running through the center of them, tending to cut down reception of signals coming from the other side of the hills. That's why Kona on the Big Island is a preferred location for TP-DXing.

Finally, have a "Plan B" ready if your motel places you in an RFI-saturated room. Be ready to take your DXing gear outside the motel, and set up a listening station down on a quiet beach. If you are in an oceanfront motel, this should be relatively easy-- but if not, hit the road until you can track down a quiet location near salt water. Lightweight, portable gain antennas can be extremely useful in situations like this, but even using a stock portable on a quiet beach is far better than listening to RFI in a motel room..

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)