Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 16:46:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Gary DeBock <d1028gary@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "America, Mailing" <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [IRCA] 819 South Korean Jammer

Chris and All,

After reviewing some files from the recent Kona (Hawaii) DXpedition I was able to track down a recording of the Southern jammer attempting to compete with the monster 819-KCBS signal from Pyongyang. Even though the 819-Jammer may sound pretty strong in Seoul it definitely didn't bother KCBS very much in Kona.

The 819 jammer seems to be a continuous "Beehive" type signal similar to the old 1053 jammer. Because of the overwhelming strength of KCBS it only shows up during Pyongyang's fades, and even then it sounds pretty wimpy by comparison. This recording was made around 0853 on 12-18, and the jammer can be heard mixing with KCBS from 22 seconds to 40 seconds into the MP3  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/1ueov463q72ht02yq6zi5kcyidnwc4n9

By contrast the 801-Jammer seems to be an intermittent Beehive signal, coming and going at irregular intervals, and on a 50% on-off cycle when it does show up.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)