[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, December 2-8, 2017

--- Begin Message ---
These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimesÂutility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page64
[over 268,000 views! as of December 8, 2017]

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; ICR-75Â E-W longwire. I am no longer using the FRG-7 so remove it from my equipment list

** MEXICO. 550, Dec 8 at 0116, ``Los locutores de la fuerte --- gran sorteo --- LoterÃa Nacional --- CuauhtÃmoc Navidad``, phrases heard dominating frequency, so certainly XEPL, 5000/150, Ciudad CuauhtÃmoc, Chihuahua. At first I thought ``La Fuerte`` might be a station`s slogan, but maybe misheard ``suerte`` to go along with gambling theme. Followed by a Diputados PSA (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. Re my logs of 580, XEMU, Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Raymie Humbert, AZ, replied Dec 1 on the WTFDA Forum: ``As you may know, Glenn, La Rancherita del Aire *bought back* 580 in IFT-4. In fact, they were the only bidder for the frequency. The post-IFT-4 callsign for the station is XELRDA-AM`` (Glenn Hauser, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KIRIBATI. 846 kHz, Dec 7 at 0543, JBA carrier definitely here and very close to 846.00. Huge splash from both sides, WHAS and KOA. Also IBOC noise circa 843 from WCCO makes it better to listen on USB despite that being 1 kHz closer to KOA than WHAS.

Some fade-outs like 0603, and back up, again at 0701 check, but I don`t expect it to rise enough for any modulation here. I`m getting it both on the R75 with E-W longwire, and the NRD-545 with ALA-330S loop E-W, not on the DX-398 internal.

This has got to be the reactivated R. Kiribati. Several years ago it closed this frequency and moved to 1440 from Bairiki. New 846 was first reported as an unID by Nick Hall-Patch, Victoria BC, Nov 30 at 0500-0535, and then heard by others on the west coast, including Walt Salmaniw also in Victoria as early as 0330.

Ace DXer Bryan Clark in New Zealand did some research and found out that this frequency now is coming from a different part of Kiribati, in fact, Christmas Island = Kiritimati! This news Dec 6 in the DXLD yg quickly spread to North American MW DX groups:

``Appropriately as we approach the Christmas season, we learn that the reactivated transmissions of Radio Kiribati on 846 AM are in fact coming from a new location - London Village on Christmas Island, providing coverage of the Line and Phoenix Group, including Kanton Island. Long time DXers will recall the last radio station on Canton Island - WXLE on 1385 AM. See attached from the Radio Kiribati Facebook page. Thanks to Theo Donnelly for encouraging me to do some sleuthing on this one! --- Bryan Clark`` See
https://www.facebook.com/RadioKiribati/posts/1734641830176128

``Broadcasting and Publications Authority added 2 new photos.
November 23 at 8:42pm Â

BPA COMMISSIONS NEW AM TRANSMITTER FOR LINE AND PHOENIX GROUP

TARAWA, November 24, 2017 (RADIO KIRIBATI) --- I-Kiribati living in the remote Line and Phoenix Islands can now for the first time listen clearly to Radio Kiribati broadcast from the Broadcasting and Publications Authorityâs (BPA) main studio in London, Christmas Island following the installation of a new AM transmitter.

The newly installed transmitter was commissioned on Saturday, 25 November 2017 in London village.

BPA Board Vice Chairman Betarim Rimon said the launching was covered live on Radio Kiribati and was heard in the Kiribati islands (Gilbert Group) through AM1440 khz and in the Line and Phoenix Islands through the newly installed AM846 khz in London.

Mr Rimon said the people of Kanton (Canton), the only inhabited island in the Phoenix Islands Protected Area (PIPA) can now tune and listen clearly to the broadcast from Christmas Island, a barrier in radio communications which has plagued and isolated the island from the rest of the islands in the country for many years.

"The people of Kanton can now tune to this service as it will sufficiently cover the rest of PIPA. You are now no longer far but drawn closer to the rest of the nation and the world in terms of news updates and radio service," said Mr Rimonâ.RK News
âââââââââ.
Kamaiuaki ana âAM transmitterâ te BPA ae e boou ibukin te Aono n Raina ma Rawaki

TARAWA, November 24, 2017 (RADIO KIRIBATI) ---- A kona ngkai te nati ni Kiribati ake a tionako ni maeka n aban te Aono n Raina ma Rawaki n ongora n te moan tai ni Bwanan Kiribati ae e itiaki man ana tabo ni kanakobwana te Botaki ni Kanakobwana ma Karekerongorongo (BPA) are i Ronton, Kiritimati imwin kanimwakin ana transmitter te BPA ae e boou ikekei.

E katekeraoaki kamaiuan te transmitter ae e boou aio n te Kaonobong 25 n November 2017 n ana tabo te BPA i Ronton Kiritimati.

E taku te Kauoman ni Tia Babaire n ana Baba n Tararua te BPA ae Betarim Rimon bwa e katanoataaki ao ni katabwenaki moan kamaiuan ke kabonganakin te transmitter ae e boou aio n te kanakobwana ae e maiu iaon Bwanan Kiribati are e ongoraeakinaki n aban te Aono ni Kiribati (Gilbert Group) rinanon te band ae te AM1440 kilohertz ao n te Aono n Raina ma Rawaki rinanon ana band te transmitter are e a tibwa kanimwaki ae te AM846 kilohertz.

E taku Betarim bwa ai akea ngkai aia kanganga kain Kanton, are bon ti ngaia aban te Aono n Rawaki ake a kainaki (PIPA) ae e kaainaki ni karekean Bwanan Kiribati ao n itiaki naba ongoraaia man te kanakobwana mai Kiritimati, te kanganga n te itoman n te rerio are e a tia ni kationakoa Kanton ma aban Kiribati ake nikabane inanon ririki aika a mwaiti.

"A kona ngkai kain Kanton ni karekea ao ni kabongana ana tieweti Bwanan Kiribati aio n akea aia kanganga ngkai e a kona n roko korakorana ao n ongoraeaki n aban te Aono n Raina (PIPA) ni kabane. Kam aikoa tionako ngkai ma kamwa kaaniaki riki ma aban Kiribati ni kabane ao te aonnaba ni kaineti ma rongorongon baika a riki ao te tieweti n te rerio," e taku Betarimâ.RK News``

Longitude is 157-29 WEST, i.e. in the western hemisphere, yet the dateline was moved east of there, and the timezone advanced to UT +14 which would be the same at UT -10 on the day before as in Hawaii, Tahiti.

Just as Kiribati is pronounced kiri-bas, the TI`s in Kiritimati are equivalent to S, so it comes out sounding a lot more like Ch-ristmas. Current sunset there is 0421 UT, and varies little at less than 2 degrees north of the Equator. It`s not clear when 846 sign off, but 1440 was listed as 0500-1000 for their evening broadcast.

So far on the IRCA and NRC lists I don`t see any reports of direct reception of 846 beyond the west coast, except for Alberta.

Before 0600 I also check 558 for Fiji, 1098 for Marshalls, but probably too early for them (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** KIRITIMATI. 846.00, Dec 8 at 0625 UT, and again at 0659 check, JBA carrier on this precise frequency, from new R. Kiribati, London Town. Because of its great distance from the rest of Kiribati, some believe that Christmas Island should be considered a separate radio country. From Tarawa: 3294 km = 2046 statute miles = 1778 nautical miles. From London, Kiritimati to Enid: 7200 km = 4474 stmi = 3888 nmi. I see there is also a Paris on the island. I wonder what the power is?? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1030, Dec 8 at 0106, ID immediately on tune-in: ``Grupo FÃrmula JuÃrez, 10-30 AM``, then overtaken by some Dave Ramsey station. I.e. XEYC, Ciudad JuÃrez, Chihuahua, 1/1 kW per IRCA Log; it`s the XE most often heard here on 1030, not XEQR, CDMX, 50/5 kW but twice the distance (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---