[IRCA] Miami Trifecta Completed

--- Begin Message ---
Glenn, The last of the three-station frequency/community of license changes by the Actualidad Media group has now been implemented.

The Boynton Beach station, call letters WLVJ, is now on the air (as of last Monday) on its new frequency of 1020 kHz.

The previous two changes, replacement of 990 in Miami by 1040, and replacement of 1020 in Kendall by 990, have been in operation since last January.

This three station frequency change (although from the FCC's standpoint each change was a change in community of license) is, so far as we are aware, the only situation like this ever to have taken place in the US.

The result is far better coverage of the Miami urbanized area by the three, including particularly 50 kW day (5 kW night) operation in Miami on 1040 kHz with a far more desirable antenna pattern than had previously been the case for the 5 kW day and night operation on 990 kHz.

Steve Lockwood of our office presented a nice paper on this project at the IEEE-BTS symposium in Orlando last month. These changes all took place without any requirements for rule waivers by FCC, since the result was superior service and reduced interference.

The project was performed (with much on-the-ground engineering by the client!) by the dTR/H&D Joint Venture, a partnership of duTreil, Lundin & Rackley and Hatfield & Dawson. The Joint Venture normally performs projects outside the US, but in this case we teamed up for folks who had been long term clients of both of our firms (Ben Dawson, Hatfield-Dawson, Nov 12, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---