[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, October 14-20, 2017

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during EDT; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT eriod to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire. FRG-7 is no longer in use.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page63
[over 255,000 views! as of October 20, 2017]

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA [if any], unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** U S A. 920, Oct 20 at 1105 UT, end townhall.com news, KVEL weather, atop the CCI at the moment, from Vernal UT. 5/1 kW U2, main night lobe aims NE, with a very minor sidelobe sorta thisaway (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1010, Oct 14 at 1235 UT, Catholic talk in Spanish, into mass in English with voice-overs, just like // 5810 WEWN, but not synch, i.e. KTNZ Amarillo TX as we now know in its born-again format (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. UNIDENTIFIED. 1030, Oct 14 at 0605 UT, open carrier overcomes most of the CCI when aiming N/S. Again strongly suspect it`s 50 kW ND daytimer KCTA Corpus Christi. WWJD? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Re my report of open carrier on 1030 kHz in the middle of the night, from the south or north, believed to be 50 kW DAYTIMER, KCTA, Corpus Christi TX, I received this confirmation sent October 15:

``Good morning Mr. Hauser, I follow your DX Reports on the WTFDA Boards. You mentioned in your most recent post, KCTA in Corpus Christi, Texas operating at night.

I, too, have received KCTA in Nashville, TN. I enjoy listening to WBZ from Boston, MA at night, but KCTA completely overpowers WBZâs signal. I went to the KCTA Webpage http://www.kctaradio.com/ and found contact info at the station to e-mail my complaint to. (This is not the first time this station has operated at night. I e-mailed them a couple months ago about the same problem.)

On my latest complaint to KCTA, the first response said there is no way I can be hearing them as they are a daytime only radio station, but they would look into the problem. I, then, heard from the engineer who said the recent hurricane damaged the communications lines between the transmitter and the studio and that KCTA has been unable to shut the transmitter off at night. (I think I would get into my car, drive to the transmitter and manually shut it down, but that is just me.) He said he was in hopes the phone company would repair the lines and the interference problem would cease at night.

The first response to my e-mail confirmed what I am hearing at night is indeed KCTA. The e-mail said they continue to stream programming long after the transmitter (should) sign off. But, since it stays on, the programs also air on 1030 kHz to approximately 10:30 pm CDT [0330 UT]. After 10:30pm, there is dead air until the streaming picks back up early in the morning. Since the programs are meant to be streamed only at night, no station IDs are aired.

They did appear to correct the problem, as a couple days this week KCTA was off at night. But, the last couple nights, KCTA has been back on interfering with WBZ.

I can only imagine how bad the interference must be for stations authorized to operate at night on 1030 kHz, including one about an hour west of Nashville. It seems strange to me this station has no fear of the F.C.C. and admitted to me about their nighttime operation.

Around the Nashville area, there have been several cases of local AM Stations, with low power night operating authority, to remain on daytime power for months at a time. You may have received them in Oklahoma. WMCG 810, WAKM 950 and WHIN 1010 to name a few, which have been guilty in the past of operating more than a month on their daytime power.

The FCC wants to revitalize the AM Band; maybe they should start by enforcing the laws on the books governing low power operation at night. The engineer stated maybe this was Godâs way of talking to me in Nashville. Keep up the good work, William âBuzzâ Rawls, III, Nashville, TN`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1900, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1040, Oct 20 at 1108 UT, M&W talk in Vietnamese, with WHO nulled, making 28/minute SAH = 0.47 Hz. Still audible at 1122 UT. Figure it`s most likely the Dallas station, which is now KGGR, yet its schedule shows nothing but English, not only now but anywhen:

http://www.kggram.com/schedule/
``Monday â Friday
Start   Finish  Program
Sign On 8:45 AM Great Gospel Music``

Only other possibility, and with ethnic format, is WPBS Conyers GA, which is 50 kW ND daytimer; 5.5 kW CH, NRC AM Log listed as ``Atlanta Radio Korea``. Ditto radio-locator.com but outdated entry for WPBS 1040 showing website http://atlantaradiokorea.com/ now goes directly to WQXI 790! So maybe the 1040 station has now converted to other languages, as this certainly was not Korean!

Atlanta sunrise today is 1147 UT, and official October FCC sunrise is 1145 UT (November: 1215 UT). So what is it doing on air already at 1108? CH would also require it to keep down to 5.5 kW for two hours after sunrise. There is no info about a PSRA for this in NRC AM Log or FCC Correspondence.

Altho not carrying it, tunein.com offers a clue for 1040 as ``Spice Radio``. But that`s old news. Here`s the clincher, from Wikipedia:

``In early 2008, it changed formats to "Spice Radio Atlanta" broadcasting with Desi/Hindi music and talk.

By mid-2009, the station was simulcasting with 1080 WFTD's "Atlanta Radio Korea" programming. The Korean programming of "Atlanta Radio Korea" was then heard exclusively on WPBS and dropped from WFTD which then started carrying Spanish language programming.

When Atlanta Radio Korea, owners of WPBS, purchased WQXI from Entercom and flipped it to from [sic] its simulcast of WSTR on December 15, Vietsong Media, owners of WFTD, purchased WPBS and has flipped the format to Vietnamese radio, as of January 1, 2017`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1330, Oct 20 at 1115 UT, ad for something in Kermit TX, and KCKM singing ID, then C&W music, dominating even the second-order KCRC Enid spur het, and KNSS Wichita. 12/1 kW U2, and October sunrise is not until 1300 UT (November: 1315 UT). I must conclude it is operating illegally with 12 kW ND day pattern; night pattern has a null toward Wichita and Enid. There is nothing about a PSRA in the NRC AM Log nor to be found in the FCC Correspondence file (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540, Oct 19 at 1312 UT, surf forecast, KGBC ID and song. This 2.5 kW transmitting from Galveston Island really gets out; easily separable from YL talker, presumably Ingraham on KXEL. Just after I had checked 1520 for KYND, but too far gone under KOKC to tell whether still running the promo loop (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) Yes, it is, says Stephen Luce Oct 20

** U S A. 1710 kHz, Oct 20 at 1137 UT, screaming gospel huxter in Spanish (I think; can hardly understand a single word), mixed with other loud voices from apparent pentecostal service. Steady S9 signal but undermodulated. I am hearing this only on the R75 with E/W longwire, so no DFing; on the DX-398 tried first, I was only getting some pulsing whine, apparently from some local device. (At 1143 UT I note that 1680 KRJO with West Monroe ad is still in well.)

1710 still past 1140 UT, crowd responses, keeps going past 1200 UT with no pause or ID. I have been looking for this tnx to Terry Krueger`s log from Florida:

``1710 LOUISIANA (PIRATE) Radio RetÃn lo que Tienes, BÃton Rouge. 1014 [GMT] October 12, 2017. Screaming Spanish male preacher and audience response, parallel live stream. https://www.radioretenloquetienes.com  Thanks D. Crawford for the tip. Decent signal. Also in well around the same time on October 14. How long will this one last? (Terry Krueger, Clearwater FL, WORLD OF RADIO 1900, DX LISTENING DIGEST)``

Current true BR SR/SS times are 1210 UT/2328 UT. Website blatantly claims to be on 1710 AM and also 107.7 FM: Guess what, WTFDA FM Database shows no legal 107.7 anywhere in Louisiana. Address as: ``Iglesia La Nueva Jerusalen, Radio Reten lo que Tiene, Ministerio, Ciudad de la Verdad Monte de Santidad, 8290 A Siegen Lane, Baton Rouge 70810 L.A. [sic] Tel 225-394-3748, 787-909-6199``

``Tiene`` -- sic; are we being familiar or not? Program schedule is rather strange, showing mornings only on: Martes y Jueves 7 a 12 am (but this is Viernes).

The slogan derives from Revelation III:10, in one translation, ``I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take your crown``. Crown? As in skull? I don`t wear any other one (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---