[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, September 29-October 6, 2017

--- Begin Message ---
All times and dates strictly UT [4 hours ahead of `ELT` during EDT; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-04 UT eriod to the previous date by ELT].

Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only or PL-880; NRD-545 with ALA-330S inside E-W or inside randomwire N-S; Nissan stock caradio as specified; IC-R75 with E-W longwire. FRG-7 is no longer in use.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page62
[over 251,000 views! as of September 28, 2017]

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA [if any], unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** U S A. 660, Oct 6 at 1234 UT, ``The Answer`` local weather, traffic break, and back to talk show, with hiccups/glitches every couple seconds in the modulation, not the carrier: KSKY, 20/0.7 kW U4 from Balch Springs TX, address in Irving, and long known as a Dallas station within The Metroplex. Must be claim to fame of ugly-named Balch Springs which is ESE downtown Dallas next to Mesquite, but B.S. claims 24K inhabitants itself. With a neat call like KSKY, why downplay it for kooky slogan, also in some other markets, related far-right stations? (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. UNIDENTIFIED. 1010, Sunday October 1 around 1237 UT, preacher in Spanish with somewhat strange accent, but not exactly gringo. Loops E/W or slightly counterclockwise. #1 suspect is KXXT Tolleson AZ (PhÅnix market), Family Values Radio, 15000/250 watts U5. Official FCC October sunrise is not until 1330 UT. Day pattern is circle tangent eastward, good for us. Schedule is overwhelmingly in English, but the daily lineup has lots of gaps including now:
http://familyvaluesradio1010.com/programguidedaily/
There is a `ConexiÃn Cristiana` at unknown time, and even a woman holding up a Brazilian flag, so could emit some Brazuguese too (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

This would explain my unID: I had thought of KTNZ, my nearest 1010 to the west, but could not find any update of format change for it from stupid ballgame talk on ESPN en inglÃs; from Neil Kazaross, IL, Oct 3, in IRCA, et al.:

``KTNZ 1010 Amarillo now Spanish Religion --- I've heard their calls followed by Radio CatÃlica Mundial slogans the past couple days at sunrise. This is EWTN Spanish. 73 KAZ Barrington IL`` (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Thanks! I was just about to ask who was running that format. They're all over my Border Inn recordings and KTNZ has always been a pest there so I should have guessed. Unfortunately, ever since EWTN revamped their web site a year or two ago they've been failing to update their list of Spanish affiliates.

I wonder what this means for KICA-980 [Clovis NM] which had been simulcasting KTNZ's ESPN until sometime in the past year. I suspect KICA must be in very bad shape. I've never heard them from the Border Inn despite having many wires aimed at them which picked up KCLV-1240
and lots of small Texans in the same direction (Tim Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone Hall, CA, ABDX via DXLD)

** U S A. 1080, October 2 at 0235 UT, KRLD Dallas TX ending CBS TV `60 Minutes` segment I saw earlier about the Webb space telescope (lacking stunning visuals!); 5 minutes of local radio ads; 0240 UT resume next 60M story about a millionaire teen soccer star, in this crazy world of ours. Anyhow, CBS-owned radio station is playing audio track of the TV show at 0200 UT Mondays, 3 hours after nominal original telecast (but which was delayed a semihour due to a different stupid ballgame). IIRC some CBS radio stations used to run this closer to original airtime 6 pm CT Sundays (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, October 1 at 1240 UT, immediately upon tune-in, KYND ID, and no KOKC modulation, dead air there making usual slow SAH. Turns out that KYND is running a 73-second loop over and over trying to promote some business. The points made include, summarizing, not verbatim: if you want to get your program widely heard in the #6 radio market, phone Joel Turner(?) 281-373-1520. Check the coverage map at Radio Locator. 25000 watts. Subject to FCC limitations. Cypress-Houston.

At 1255 UT some CCI from a third station. At 1301 UT, KOKC has started modulating with news, CBS? Never heard that mentioned. 1305 UT dead air. 1306 UT talk show starts, beginning with morning-wake-up bugle call, but KYND loop can still be heard mixing underneath. Are they running this all the time, or only during certain unsold hours? (Glenn Hauser, OK, WORLD OF RADIO 1898, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1520, October 2 at 1317, KYND Cypress/Houston TX is still running the ``please buy time here`` loop like yesterday, beneath modulating KOKC (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1530, Oct 1 at 1246 UT, promo/PSA concerning wild animals, ID as ``107-3 and 15-30 Mountain Country``, from NW/SE. That`s KQSC, Colorado Springs, prioritizing its silly little translator, K297BQ; on 1530 supposed to be 15000/15 watts U1 with 1000 during critical hours. Official FCC October sunrise is not until 1315 UT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1540, Sunday October 1 at 1248 UT, infomercial pushing vitamin D supplements, loops NE/SW, must be KXEL Waterloo, Iowa. This semihour used to be occupied by Defunct Elder Jacob O. Meyer of WMLK fame (whose own SW is still not funxional) (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---