 Subject: Re: [IRCA] not TP 30 May Victoria version
 To: "America, Mailing" <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 Date: Thursday, June 1, 2017, 3:38 PM

 Craig,

 I think that the FSL-based Hawaii DXpeditions
 in April were a pretty good learning experience for both of
 us. We were both swamped with lots of transoceanic DX that
 we had never heard before, and had to adjust to the new
 reality in a hurry.

 Your
 Chinese TP-DX in Princeville, Kauai was exceptional, with
 strong signals even on open-air iPhone videos. In the same
 way I was swamped with Pacific Island DX around local
 midnight in Kona, with S9 signals from exotic stations like
 621-Tuvalu,1440-Kiribati and others.

 Like you I'm very eager to go back to
 Hawaii for a second round, based on the experience of the
 April DXpeditions. Ruth and I have already booked another
 vacation in Kona for 5 days in December, during which all
 sorts of exotic Pacific Islasnd stations like 630-Cook
 Islands, 1035-SIBC (Solomon Islands) and 1125-Vanuatu will
 be prime targets. We plan to stay in another oceanfront room
 in the same Royal Kona Resort, which provided awesome DU
 results in April. The Japanese Ultralight radio enthusiasts
 have also been keenly interested in the "Frequent
 Flyer" FSL project, with our July 2016 Rockwork 4
 DXpedition partner Satoshi Miyauchi receiving a 5"
 model (identical to ours) recently. With his job in the
 travel industry he makes frequent trips to places like
 Indonesia and the Philippines, and is eager to enjoy some
 high-gain MW-DXing right inside his motel rooms.

 Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA,
 USA)

 <<< Mark,

 Thanks to your referencing the DXploits of
 Richard Wood in Hawaii, I was aware of the potential for
 Latin American DX from Hawaii. The best opportunity for that
 for me, without setting up a one night DXpedition, was
 probably on the north coast of Kauai. The location I was
 staying at on the big island was on the west slope of
 Hualalai at approx. 1500 ft. and several miles inland from
 the coast. I did have a clear visual path to the Pacific. I
 will be working on reviewing my logging and recordings from
 that location soon. As I suspected, that location favored DU
 propagation, which it did. At that location, I had an
 unidentified source of locally generated QRM in the
 direction of northern Asian TP, so even JOUB was not heard
 there. I also suspected a potential DX rich environment
 there. In recent times, I have only experienced that on a
 couple of Pacific NW coastal DXpeditions, the most recent of
 which at Kalaloch, WA and at Rockaway Beach, OR. Years ago,
 a couple of local DXers
 Â and I ran
 beverages just east of Denver in the Colorado plains.
 Colombia, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Bonaire and I think El
 Salvador were heard. As a Spanish speaker who started DXing
 when I was growing up in DC, I have long been interested in
 Latin American DX. As that was my first trip to the islands,
 there was much I wanted to see and do, as well as get some
 quality DXing in. I chose to focus on TP and DU DX this
 trip. The locations I stayed at favored that approach, even
 more than I anticipated. From my standpoint, you know
 you're in a DX rich environment when in Kauai Voice of
 the Strait on 783 is one of the propagation bellweathers I
 used. On the big island, it was 4QD on 1548. For a guy
 living in Colorado, that was DX hog heaven! I will certainly
 work on a more strategic approach for my next visit to the
 islands. For my part, I accomplished what I set out to do.
 As always you're insights and contributions to the hobby
 are much appreciated. A huge Thank You also goes to Ga
  ry DeBock. Without his FSL and help with Asian
 linguistics, the results would have been greatly diminished,
 I'm sure.

 73 and Best
 of DX

 PS. I am now
 wistfully pining for island DX. Not so much as a single TP
 carrier can be had in Colorado these days!

 Signed,

 Craig Barnes
 Wheat Ridge, CO

 Sent from my