Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 21:47:04 +0000 (UTC)
From: d1028gary@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Craig Barnes' TP-DXpedition to Princeville, Kauai,
Hawaii (Part Two)

Chris,

Thanks very much for providing your own assessment on Craig's Kauai TP-DXing videos.

<<< 837 Because you don't have an actual audio input and a lot of that sound is
lost between the radio and your phone, it's hard to confirm this as much.
Though you are likely correct on your assumption. Mandarin nonetheless. >>>

Sooner or later I'll probably need to convince Craig that much (if not most) of the TP-DX signal strength of these different Asian stations is being lost by the recording format of using an iPhone to shoot a video. The S/N readouts on the PL-310 indicate quite a bit more Asian signal quality than what is showing up in the videos. On the other hand Craig is doing his best to record a torrent of Asian DX in his first major DXpedition, most of which is in unfamiliar languages and on unfamiliar frequencies for him. He is certainly doing his best with the limited gear that he brought along for the trip, and will certainly become a more skillful DXpeditioner as he gets more experience in various travel opportunities.

Gary