Re: [IRCA] My Longest Graveyard Catch: 2100 miles

My best two catches on the AM band are KCEY 1390, Turlock CA in February 1959. At that time I lived in Chesapeake, VA and was using a Hallicrafters S-120 with a simple long wire about 30 feet long and maybe 10 feet in the air. The verification letter (which I still have) states that I was the farthest east they had ever heard from. Up until that time the furthest east was Idaho. They also sent a coverage map.

My best all around MW DX catch was in March or 1961. I was a senior in high school at the time and lived in East Aurora, NY - about 15 miles south east of Buffalo. My "rig" was a standard 5 tube RCA table radio that I gotten for Christmas. I hooked a long wire to the loop on the back of it and ran fifty feet of wire out my second floor window through some trees. It was from Radio Swan, Swan Island, Caribbean Sea, about 100 miles north east of Honduras. It was owned by the Gibraltar Steamship Company which I later learned was a front for the CIA and was used to broadcast to Cuba. They were on 1160 AM and the letter says they were ran 50 KW. I do remember they were very weak and the programming was in Spanish. According to the letter they also ran SW operation on "6 mc" at 7.5 KW.

I have several other QSL"s from the Caribbean area as well that I got in latter in the late sixties and seventies.

Larry Fravel K8YYY
Shinnston, WV

: It's easier to fool people than convince them that they've been fooled.
Mark Twain

-----
No virus found in this message.