[IRCA] Backpack DXpeditioning (was: Elad FDM-S2 initial testing)

--- Begin Message ---
Thanks Guy and Chuck for the additional comments that I saw after I just posted wanting to know more about suitable computers for SDR control on DXpeditions away from mains power.

I get the multi-message digest form so I don't see other IRCA list comments until the digest reaches the appropriate size for posting.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION
South Yarmouth, MA

<<
Hi Mark,

I can second what Chuck has said-- modern Atom processors can handle SDRs
with CPU cycles to spare as long as you don't go crazy and try to run too
many programs at once.

I have a Asus T100TA Transformer tablet/keyboard combination that has the
Bay Trail-T Z3740 processor and runs my FDM-S2 well, including MW recording
to an external SSD. I haven't used this combo since last fall and don't
recall the CPU percentage when recording or playing back files.

Here's a YouTube video I made of an older HP Stream 7 tablet (Atom Z3735)
running the Elad SDR, at around 13% CPU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FAwxwI95Zg

It's worth noting that the other external bits and pieces needed to run a
WAV file recording, Atom tablet or laptop powered SDR setup can be fiddly,
with OTG adapters, possibly powered USB hubs, and external drives and
cables. However, I've found that the faster MicroSD cards or USB flash
drives like this Sandisk Extreme model
<http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-usb-3-0-thumb-drive/> can
substitute for an SSD drive for a few hours of MW recording depending on
size (Gb). I have also used the tiny Sandisk Ultra Fit flash drive
successfully.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA

=====

Guy -

It really doesn't take much of a flash drive or SD card to keep up with SDR (Perseus) recordings. Perseus needs 64 mb/s (megabits) or 8 MB/s when recording 1.6 MHZ worth of signals. Almost any SD or flash can do that. Even the slowest flash drive in the link you sent handles 400 mb/s.

In the real world, I've not had a problem with using garden variety SD cards. Units that support SDXC (over 32 G) are common and I put a 128 GB SD in my T100TAF.

To me, the problem with the 1 USB port tablets is that with most, you can't connect a Perseus and charge the unit at the same time. Of my tablets, only my Dell Venue 8 Pro lets me do both via an adaptor. I'd love to hear about other devices that support this. It's part of the USB charging specs to allow this, so maybe more manufacturers will hop on the bandwagon.

Chuck

--- End Message ---