Re: [IRCA] Using a portable heater while DXing

As this is an important issue, I'd rather have you say specifically what you consider unsafe. Otherwise, confusion may result in some of tonight's advice being accepted while unsafe and other advice being rejected while safe.

Chuck
________________________________
From: IRCA <irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Les Rayburn <les@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2017 10:59 PM
To: IRCA Radio List - irca@hard-core-dx_com
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Using a portable heater while DXing

I think the key to remember is that safety must come first. It would not be extreme to recommend that you take along both a fire extinguisher and a CO Alarm to detect concentrations of carbon monoxide.

Many things being recommended by well-meaning DX’ers tonight are dangerous and potentially fatal. Open faced propane heaters are NOT safe for indoor use.

Read this and educate yourself before doing something potentially life-threatening.

http://campsafe.org/?p=1
[http://campsafe.bflinteractive.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/cropped-HeaderArt_10001.jpg]<http://campsafe.org/?p=1>

Know the difference between indoor-safe and outdoor only ...<http://campsafe.org/?p=1>
campsafe.org
With sub-zero temperatures and winter storms continuing to plague the U.S., portable propane heaters have become an alternative choice for providing residences with ...

73,

Les N1LF

Les Rayburn, director
High Noon Media Services
130 1st Avenue West
Alabaster, AL 35007-8536
205-621-7500
205-621-7505 FAX
205-253-4867 CELL
highnoonfilm.com

[This message and any attached documents contain information from the sender that may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message. Thank you.]

> On Feb 20, 2017, at 12:46 AM, Paul B. Walker, Jr. <walkerbroadcasting@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> *rasies hand* Talk about DXing in extreme cold.
>
> My boss and I discuss my hobby from time to time and this is what he has
> suggested to me:
>
> An ice fishing shelter and a propane heater:
> http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/mobile/Eskimo-
Sportsman's Warehouse: America's Premier Hunting, Fishing & Camping Outfitter<http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/mobile/Eskimo->
www.sportsmanswarehouse.com
Find all your hunting, fishing & camping gear at Sportsman's Warehouse! Shop our huge selection of ammo, fishing rods & reels, tents & more at our everyday low price.

> Quickfish-3-Ice-Fishing-Shelter/productDetail/Eskimo/
> prod99990133782/cat125203
>
> A small propane heater would warm it up in 20 seconds. My boss and many
> here are avid outdorosmen and do stuff like this regularly.
>
> Paul
>

> On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 9:36 PM, James Renfrew <jim.renfrew@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> I used a kero heater in my unheated attic in Rochester for many years.
>> VERY important to have fresh air coming in.  My mistake was being so
>> focused on dxing that I would sometimes forget to refill the kerosene and
>> as it died it produced enough fumes to be dangerous.  Then I'd have to open
>> the windows to air the place out.  And then everything got real cold
>> quick.  That propane unit sounds like a much better idea.  With kero I
>> would never run it unless I was in that room and awake at all times.  Jim
>> Renfrew, Clarendon NY
>>
>> On Feb 19, 2017 20:57, "Rick Dau" <drummer1965us@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> I was hoping Shawn Axelrod would chime in on this topic, which he did in
>>> an off-list message to me.  I had always wondered what he, Niel Wolfish,
>>> Morris Sorenson, and Wayne McRae used to keep warm during all those
>>> DXpeditions at Valhalla Beach (65 miles - 104 km - almost due north of
>>> Winnipeg), where I'm sure the temps in January can get brutal.  If memory
>>> serves me right, they set up shop inside an abandoned school bus.  THAT
>>> must have been fun!  Very helpful that Shawn included pics so I know what
>>> to look for in the future.
>>>

>>> 73,
>>>
>>> Rick Dau
>>>
>>> South Omaha, Nebraska  EN21af

International Radio Club of America<http://www.ircaonline.org/>
www.ircaonline.org
Web Site for the International Radio Club of America